Steering Wheel Fitting

Marshman 1360

Hi Marshman,

I've just changed the 15" 'bus' steering wheel on my Vit, it was so skinny it was awful to hold, and so big it amplified every little bump on the road. I got a cheapy new one from eBay, Was about £45 but came with the horn press/boss and the Triumph logo in the middle. It's a 13" but I wouldn't recommend that size as it's just too damn small. I'd go for a 14". When I've measured mine it's barely 12.5". Apparently Minis use a different boss.

It came with the horn press and the hole in the boss for the horn brush, but I had to modify it by drilling the rivet out and adding a strip of metal so it came in contact with the horn pencil brush, like the original, then riveting it again, no big deal.

I found it easier to fit the boss first then attach the wheel with the smaller bolts, if it's a shiny chrome/leather one this'll stop you scratching the chrome.

Mine also had sharp rivets on the reverse of each of the three spokes holding the leather down, I kept catching my fingers on these when driving so I got a massive drill bit and very slightly countersunk the sharp centre bit off the rivet,

all sorted, but I think there may be a 'Used 13" steering wheel for Triumph' on eBay soon.

Not sure about the Vitesse, but  believe the standard Herald wheel is 16", not the 15" that Garth talks about.  Measure yours so you have a reference point.
I have changed mine to 15" which is great for me. 14" I have used in the past.  13" is way too small for me.  Garth makes a good point in that the thickness/thinness of the rim is a significant factor in the 'feel'.
Steering column adjustment is also important.
So, whether you are looking for 15" or 14", the appropriate style is 'semi-dished'.
C.

if you really want a small wheel on  Herald to keep the loading better you could swap to a vitesse slower ratio  rack
I had a 13 on the Vit6 and felt two shreaded wheat where insufficient. 14 is better.
input shaft in herald  is plain spline,   the Vit rack has a groove /ring around the spline  to identify it as different ratio.

Pete

Archived