Mountney steering wheel boss horn push

joecr

I've bought a Mountney steering wheel and adapter boss for my 13/60.

The wheel looks good but I'm disappointed with the boss, it dosen't look as well made as some other aftermarket ones I've seen.

At first glance I can't see how the horn push is supposed to work, and the instructions are useless,  has anyone fitted one of these recently who could point me in the right direction?

Any advice, or better still a pic would help me figure it out.

Thanks, Joe.

Joe,
I had to fabricate a strip of metal the right size to go from the horn centre rivet to touch the horn pencil. There was no way it was going to work otherwise. It still dosen't work properly, the hole for the pencil is too far out, it's very poor.

Mine was just an 'el cheapo' from eBay, I would have expected a bit more from Mountney.

Pop over and we'll have a look at it.

The problem is, there's no hole or holder for the horn push pencil.

I've spoken to someone from Mountney and was told they don't make them with the holes for the horn pencil anymore.

It's not just a case of drilling a hole in the boss to make it work as there's nothing to hold the pencil upright once it's in the hole. I could have fabricated something and got it working but that's not right, if it's sold as being suitable then it should fit and work without having to modify it.

It's on it's way back now for a refund, it looks like I'll have to use an after market one if I want the horn push in the middle of the wheel.

Joe.

Quote:
Perhaps you got the wrong boss?

No, the boss I got was a genuine Mountney one for the Herald. Mountney don't make the Herald boss with a hole in them any more, they told me this when I rang them about it.

The Mountney boss looked awful and was poorly made, I've bought a Springalex boss and it's superior in every way to the Mountney one.

The supplier up here in the North East, where I got the Springalex boss from, said they stopped selling the Mountney bosses a while ago because of the poor quality of them.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the new boss and the Montney wheel but definately wouldn't recommend a Mountney boss at all.

Joe

This is the type of Montney boss I was supplied with from Mountney, although the one here is for a mini, the Herald one looked exactly the same on the outside.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Mountney-Classic-Steering-Wheel-Boss-New-/260288170989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

This is the type I ended up buying.

https://www.europaspares.com/BOSS_KITS/SPRINGALEX/SPRINGALEX_TRADITIONAL_BOSS_KITS_5370.html

Joe

Archived