steering column adjusting

Davemate

is it true you can ajust the height of the steering wheel (in and out),i would like to make sure mine is right in,how do i do this
pics or total idiot proof instructions would be required,please  ;)
or a measurment from dash to steering wheel so i can check !

Here is a page from the workshop manual that might help.  Where the column attached to the steering wheel joins the part connected to the rack there is a clamp.  Adjusting at that clamp allows you to adjust the length of the column (the distance between the steering wheel and dashboard.)  Full manual available from my website. Your should be able to see the clamp on the column below the dashboard before it goes throu the bulkhead.

I wouldn't touch no10. This is set so that the column will slide inside each other in an accident.  You just need to loosen all of the other column mountings including both no13's and push the steering wheel towards the dash.  Very simple when you get your head in the footwell and have a look.

339 wrote:
I wouldn't touch no10. This is set so that the column will slide inside each other in an accident.  

Problem is that by loosening and re-tightening the other bolts, the tension on number 10 will be compromised. Best to undo number 10, and re-torque according to the manual at the end of the procedure.

Cheers,
Bill.

339 wrote:
I wouldn't touch no10. This is set so that the column will slide inside each other in an accident.  You just need to loosen all of the other column mountings including both no13's and push the steering wheel towards the dash.  Very simple when you get your head in the footwell and have a look.

When the column is set with the wheel right in as close to the dash as it can go, the column loses its telescopic ability under impact as it is at it's shortest and is unable to collapse any further.

M.

Archived