Herald 948 steering rack....what`s the difference?

kartman

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the usual Herald/Spit rack and  the earlier 948cc unit? I have an early 1960`s kit car which has what looks like a Spit rack but it has no upright locating plates on it. Does anyone have a picture of the early rack? Any help appreciated..............Martin

You pretty much described the Herald Mk1 steering rack fitted from early 1960(ish) until the Mk2 was introduced mid 1962. Sorry, I don't have any useful pictures to hand, but I can photograph the two for comparison when I'm next at the farm if it proves useful.

The early 948 rack was quite different in having a smaller pinion housing, so the smaller rack boot was used on both left and right sides. If you have one of these it's easiest to swap to the 1960> type as that rack's internals are shared with the more common Spitfire/TR/Mk2 Herald rack,

Cheers,
Bill.

Also have the 6-tooth pinion (like GT6, Vitesse, big saloon) so are lower geared than the later Herald/Spit which have 7.

Have holes drilled in the tubes to take the locating dowels on the aluminium mounting blocks.  

I have one here if you want another..... though I tend to agree with bill about swapping it for a later one!

Cheers

Nick

Wow that was a quick reply, many thanks Bill. The car it is mounted on has solid blocks welded onto the chassis which the rack sits in, these are wider apart than the upright plates on the later racks and the caps have a locating dimple which fits into a small `hole` in the rack tube. If i used a later rack i would have to cut the upright plates off and see if the rack was held securly once the caps were tightened onto the blocks. A picture of the two would be very helpful if you are able. All the best...........Martin

Archived