13/60 STEERING COLUMN

midgeman

JUST STRIPPED DOWN THE STEERING COLUMN ON THE 13/60 CONVERTIBLE TO GET IT READY FOR NEW BUSHES AND A COAT OF PAINT AND FOUND THAT THE OUTER COLUMN IS MADE OF ALLOY IS THIS STANDARD AS I WAS EXPECTING IT TO BE MILD STEEL.

ALSO ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE ON THE BEST WAY TO FIT THE NEW BUSHES WITHOUT CAUSING ANY DAMAGE TO THEM AS THE OLD ONES WERE A PIG TO GET OUT.

I've just done the same, although you done a much better job of stripping the paint off.
Yes the bushes are difficult to get out, but simple to get in. I just smeared some silicone grease around the inside of each column end then pushed them in...simples!

2580 wrote:
JUST STRIPPED DOWN THE STEERING COLUMN ON THE 13/60 CONVERTIBLE TO GET IT READY FOR NEW BUSHES AND A COAT OF PAINT AND FOUND THAT THE OUTER COLUMN IS MADE OF ALLOY IS THIS STANDARD AS I WAS EXPECTING IT TO BE MILD STEEL.

ALSO ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE ON THE BEST WAY TO FIT THE NEW BUSHES WITHOUT CAUSING ANY DAMAGE TO THEM AS THE OLD ONES WERE A PIG TO GET OUT.

I used the 'uprated' bushes from Rimmers and a little bit of rubber grease, then a tight fitting socket on the end of a drift, tapping them home with a soft hammer. Taped up both ends with tape to protect the powder coating once bushes had a start.

Bottom one went in a little out of square ie: locating lugs didn't line up with the holes in the column and managed to turn it 1/4 inch with screw driver placed through the locating hole.

All up took about 20mins, and a vast improvement over the bolt held in by spring steel someone had put through the old shaft to take up the slack in the factory bushes.

1867 wrote:

I used the 'uprated' bushes from Rimmers and a little bit of rubber grease, then a tight fitting socket on the end of a drift, tapping them home with a soft hammer. Taped up both ends with tape to protect the powder coating once bushes had a start.

Bottom one went in a little out of square ie: locating lugs didn't line up with the holes in the column and managed to turn it 1/4 inch with screw driver placed through the locating hole.

All up took about 20mins, and a vast improvement over the bolt held in by spring steel someone had put through the old shaft to take up the slack in the factory bushes.

Sounds good, the tricky bit i had was getting the bushes onto the steering column itself...soo tight mine moved up the column sleeve and I've just had to buy 2 more new ones......waiting to see how others do it before attempting again......

New bushes fitted and column now refurbished and ready to go back on when ALL the other stuff is done.  

2580 wrote:

Archived