Steering gaiters...nightmare

mazfg

Thought I'd have a go and repalce my rubber gaiters/ bellows on the steering rack as all my front suspension is still off......nightmare. they come off easily but just could not get them to pop over the end and get them on again.....decided to take the rack off..

This too was a nightmare too....had to jack the engine up to free the U clamp on the passenger side and removed thte 2 sidepanel skirts  either side of the engine.....even with the engine jacked up a bit wasn't easy....anyway I now have it off, will take to work and should be a breeze to gett hose gaiters on now....

Any tips for re-fixing the rack....centralising etc.....also probably worht replacing my bushes for some new poly ones....although the old ones seem ok...

Thanks

can only say many sell a poor mans universal gaitor...does  it fit triumphs   not without much stretching cursing as guess you have a gaitor with a much smaller dia than the rack , its a common test of endurance to see who wins, put it down to rubbish after market supplies ,
watch out there's a small plastic anti rattle plug fitted in  a hole in the tube under the passenger side mounting rubber.  

as for centralise   not much in the manual but shows  the track rod ball joints as 221mm from cl of spherical to cl of TRE  ie equal both sides
Pete

Yep think I got those ones.....still all on now. Found some masking tape over a hole on passenger side...that once had the anti rattle plug...nowt there now... I made up a plug with the head of a nylon screw....
Just need to fit the rack back in now...

The new trackl rod ends I got are slightly longer than the old ones. I did measure the distance between the end of the thread and the locknut on the tie rods after removing track rods. LHS=26mm RHS= 21.5..... Will centralise the middle of the steering rack before reattaching to steering wheel etc and going to put the track rods on as was before....will be taking to my garage to get tracking done anyway

to set the static ride height you need 150 lbs on all  4 seats  where ever you take the car to be set up or its a waste of time, its the only way to make sure you dont get any bump steer from the rear end ie bunny hops on pot holes   its important,,, get some bags of coal/sand or rent a crowd to sit in
it makes a world of difference.

heres alink to some simple toe in methods without  special tools , quite adequate

http://www.tssc.org.uk/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=10210&catid=219

Pete

Archived