MSter

Hi

I will soon be onto the steering rack what is the best way to service these?? are they servicable?? how can i determind whether its worn and will or will not meet mot requirements??

Any help or suggestions grately appreciated.

Really it depends upon the condition of the actual rack and pinion gears.  All of the other parts you can pretty well adjust out with shims or easily replaceable parts.

First you need to check how much play there is when you turn the pinion gear.  Carefully assess the amount of movement before the rack moves but do this in the centre and then at each end.  If it is pretty much the same then you will be able to adjust it out using shims.  If there is considerably more free play when the steering is centred than when on full lock then you have a problem.  If you adjust it so that there is no play when in the centre then the steering will get really tight on full lock.  Not a lot you can do about this other than a replacement. (If you are buying a recon rack I would carry out this check before you buy!)

If this is OK then the bits you have to do are:  Replace the tube end bush., about £10 and easily found easy to get out using the rack as a drift.  Shim up the pinion gear to remove free play -  the workshop manual is pretty good on this.  Adjust the inner ball joints.- These usually just need a few shims taken out,

Lastly make sure you grease it well before putting on new gaiters as you cannot guarantee where the grease will go when you use the grease nipple.

If you do all of this carefully then in my opinion  it will be better than most recon racks that you can purchase

Archived