13/60 Steering rack play?

joecr

Today while checking the track rod ends and ball joints on the Herald I noticed that at full lock to the passenger side there's some play in the steering rack.

At first I thought it might be the inner ball joint, but after pulling the gaiter back I noticed it was the inner part of the rack. It's not massive play and it all but disappears once the steering is straight ahead.

Is this normal and acceptable, or is the rack due for replacement? There's no play on the drivers side, even on full lock.

Thanks, Joe.

I've decided to replace the bush and rubber mounts while I've got the car up on stands, but whilst stripping the rack out I've noticed there was no nylon anti rattle bush in the hole under the rubber mounting.

Can anyone tell me the size of the anti rattle bush please? I have some nylon round bar and a lathe with which to turn it down.

Thanks, Joe.

Nick_Jones wrote:
It's like a shirt button really.  I've used sawn-off sections of plastic number plate bolts in the past to give you an idea.

So long as it is a free-moving fit in the hole and sticks up about 1mm above the outside of the tube when resting on the rack itself, you won't be far wrong.

Nick

Great, thanks.

Joe