Steering rack and nylon button

Einar

Then I proceed to the next issue as the handbrake problem has been solved in a previous thread. I’m going to change the steering rack with a new one. Earlier I’ve come over an article in The Courier by John Thomason in the July issue 2004: http://vitesse.no/Projects/Winter-2008-2009/TheCourier289-SteeringRack.pdf . On the last page he mentions a small nylon button that should sit in a hole under the mounting brackets to reduce rattle in the rack – see picture. The new rack has this hole, but Rimmer has not heard about it, does not stock it and it is not listed in the parts list. Have anyone any experience with this – is it really necessary? And where can I possibly get it? (Yes, I can make one – should not be difficult). The mounting brackets on my car are the “new” aluminum type – not rubber type. Does anyone have any input or feedback upon this issue….. Thanks again.

think there are two lengths of ally mounts out there for after market sales ,the general short one  leaves the hole in open air , lets the button drop out and allows water 'IN'

the jubilee clip is an idea used by many, and yes Moss is the only place I have ever seen this little gem listed

yes it is a rack damper device to stop  chatter  from the passenger side rack/bush  on rough surfaces
             Pete