TR5 spark plug advice & steering wheel

TonyJerseyUK

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could advise on the best plugs to use in my 5?  I currently have NGK BP6ES, but whenever I start the car I normally have 1 of the plugs getting wet with petrol. Jersey only has a 40mph max speed limit, so wondered if I should use a hotter plug?  Is it also worth trying the iridium NGK plug, BPR6EIX .?

Oh, and I'm still looking for an original steering wheel, if anyone knows of one??

Many thanks,

Tony

Flooding of one plug suggests that the throttle butterflies are not properly balanced so I'd suggest attending to this first.

As regards plugs, given your driving conditions a hotter plug might well work better.  NGK BP5ES would do that.  You might also consider using something other than NGK - my recent experience is that they don't handle being wetted with petrol well and tend to die.

Cheers

Nick

Tony

You could try BP5ES, they are the next hotter. I was getting fouling on the 6's in my PI, so fitted 5's last week. did 180 miles of hard thrashing and seems OK.

Lazy injectors seems to be more my problem at the moment.

With a 40 mph limit I would never be able to fix the injectors... ;-)

Cheers

Colin

O ring on injector (the small one on the pintel end) is the issue. If not its the one way valve on the other end of the pipe screwed into the m/u (specially the ones on the back of the m/u).

Agree avoid NGK, and especially Bosch plugs, PI's don't like them. I have always used bog standard Champion N9Y, fit and forget. Low speed driving shouldn't be a problem. the wifes PI spent most of its time in town traffic, never missed a beat (12,000 miles a year).

TR5 steering wheel? Good luck with that! I have 4, but then they are all attached to cars :)

Dave

To be fair, the PI doesn't exactly get a lot of money spent on it! And the occasionally lazy injector is a good excuse to give it a bit of stick... :-)

At least it doesn't backfire anymore, don't think the neighbours appreciated the salute as I pulled out of the driveway.

Mr Chinn did the injector O-rings for me a couple of years ago, and that made a massive difference, but I suspect the warranty has run out on them now.. :-)

And it has had a couple of replacement one-way valves fitted. I am working round them one by one as they play up.

I blew the seals at one end of the MU last year doing a Targa rally in it, so most of the seals in the MU are now new. That helped a lot as well.

Cheers

Colin

Hi,

Many thanks to those who wrote giving advice - much appreciated.  I've just bought a set of NGK BPR5ES  (the shop didn't have BP5ES in stock). Can someone advise what the gap should be, please? I'd assumed it's 25,000th but perhaps it's 0.6mm in new money, or a different gap for a different/hotter plug?

I had a couple of TR5s when I was a teenager in the 70s, and seem to remember always having a plug spanner in the car to sort out a misfire just after starting from cold. Some things never change...  

Mind you, I don't carry a hammer + small block of wood in the boot for the Lucas fuel pump anymore. Mr. Bosch seems to have solved that problem.

Cheers,

Tony