Steering Wheel - Dished or Flat?

Anthony

I think it all depends on what look you are going after.  If you want a classic, old school appearance, get a thin rim, 15 inch flat wood wheel, like a Nardi.

I went for a more updated look with a fatter, leather, slightly dished, 13 inch wheel.

Did you decide on a paint color yet?  I'm having the same quandry.  At first I said its got to be dark BRG, then maybe Guards Red - something that will pop.  Now I'm thinking a medium dark electric blue metallic to highlight the beautiful lines of the car, but I also like the cream color used on old Morgans and XK120s (might be better for global warming conditions, too - we've had a CRAZY hot summer).

Aaarrgghhhh!!!!!

Dished is my preference.

I swapped out a 2 1/2 inch dished factory leather wrapped wheel for a 1 1/2 inch dished wood wheel.  The 1 inch loss in dish makes the car difficult to park and in tight situations - there is not sufficient room for my fingers to fit between the wheel and the signal and light stalks.

When I find a good 2 1/2 inch dished wood wheel then I will be making another change.

jb

Hi,

I prefer the Original dished version for my mk1.

Not only the looks but it gives more clearance for my leggs/knees. Heres an image of my gt6 with the leather rim. I was able to buy an original option wooden steering wheel, which is exactly the same in size and dish.

mpbarrett wrote:
that does look really nice....
mike

The wheel or the picture through the windscreen ;)

On the steering wheel question the choice is yours. Mines the original and I love it. The cars hot, it smells of the 70s, has no mod cons, has a thin steering wheel you would laugh at it a modern car but when you sit in it and drive it, its unlike anything I've driven before and thats why I like it  :).  

• 2 years later...

EddieGT wrote:
Hi,

I prefer the Original dished version for my mk1.

Not only the looks but it gives more clearance for my leggs/knees. Heres an image of my gt6 with the leather rim. I was able to buy an original option wooden steering wheel, which is exactly the same in size and dish.

Does anyone know where I can get a wheel like this?

1867 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a wheel like this?

Fitted to 2.5PI, (MkI) GT6 MkI & II. Saloons and GT6's have different bosses.

Expect to pay £125 up to £250 with the boss, depending on who is selling and condition.

Not saying you can't find bargains but you have to hunt them down.  8)

Richard_B wrote:

Fitted to 2.5PI, (MkI) GT6 MkI & II. Saloons and GT6's have different bosses.

Expect to pay £125 up to £250 with the boss, depending on who is selling and condition.

Not saying you can't find bargains but you have to hunt them down.  8)

This is a picture of a Standard Mk2 GT6 wheel (Similar if not the same as a TR5 Wheel?), you would have been able to get the Formula style wheel shown though as an optional extra from the Standard Triumph dealer?

Agree about the values, saw one on E-bay recently with a £299 buy it now price ??)