Steering rack - advisory on mot

Mr Elsie

Got car mot'd today and got an advisory stating there was play in steering rack.  I only replaced this with an exchange unit from a reputable supplier as got the same advisory last year. I've put blue poly bush on the rack mountings also. There is some lateral movement through the bushes which I'm wondering if this is the cause of the play. Is there anyway I can check whether it's the rack itself moving or something else.

Jack the front off the ground and try moving each wheel left & right (one hand on each side of the tyre)..

If you feel play then try puting your hands top and bottom of the tyre, if the same amount of play is present then that is wheel bearing rather than track rod end or steering rack.

If the rack is moving (rather than play in the rack) you probably need an assistant to check for movement when you roock the trye left & right.

Hope that helps?

If its an advisory its not critical, just depends if it gets worse. Are the bushes Superflex?

In the steering rack ball joints, each side, there is .... a set of shims, a spring and a (now) nylon cup
Just check by....having someone slightly jiggle the st wheel whilst, underneath the car,  with both  hands, one either side of the rack ball joint (one side at a time) and see if there there is play at the ball joint
The rubber boot has to be slid back to be able to gain access
If there is play ,either the nylon cup is worn or you may need to change shims