Steering wheel cover

WIMPUS

Hi,

I've seen this a few times http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-GLOVE-TRIUMPH-TR2-TR3-TR4-TR5-TR6-TR7-GT6-SPITFIRE-/261270220612?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd4eb2f44&_uhb=1, but does somebody know if they are good ?
On my steering wheel the rubber is starting to crack everywhere
And a new steering wheel costs a bit  :-/

It seems to be very well made ..
i've asked him if they fit for my car and he said if i send him the measurement that he can make one that fits ..

So what do you all think ?  :)

I did mine myself,I got the cover from this chap. Mk1 pi wheel not listed so I gave him the measurements and he made the cover to fit
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=260736236930&globalID=EBAY-GB
Good quality cover

I measured the curcumfrence and took away 5mm so it is a nice tight fit

Same thing with the thickness, I took a couple of mm off so it would pull nice and tight and not move about if twisted

1344 wrote:
I did mine myself,I got the cover from this chap. Mk1 pi wheel not listed so I gave him the measurements and he made the cover to fit
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=260736236930&globalID=EBAY-GB
Good quality cover

I measured the curcumfrence and took away 5mm so it is a nice tight fit

Same thing with the thickness, I took a couple of mm off so it would pull nice and tight and not move about if twisted

Thanks ! that's much cheaper also !

Do you have pictures of the steering wheel before and after ;)

Jason wrote:
Daft question Dave but what's the wheel actually made of? Is it pliable or solid? I have a wood rim wheel and although I like the dimensions I don't like the wood so I was wondering if one of these covers could be made to cover it up.

You can always measure it and ask if they can make it for you , that's what i'm going to do for my steering wheel maybe  :)

Jason wrote:
I was thinking how soft it would be if applied to just wood - could it be too hard to the touch or would there need to be something softer between the wood and the leather? It might make it all too bulky or am I over thinking this??

ow yeah :/

i'm also a bit scared that it could move a bit .. but i guess on wood it should move more then on mine (mine is with rubber).. :-/

On rubber i guess when it's tight enough it shouldn't move a lot ..

Jason,
         It's sort of firm with I wee bit of pliability,very unlike wood !
But to stop slippage use pva glue,smear  it all over the wheel then fit the cover.

Problems -:
As it took me about 7hrs(taking 3 sittings and I had to re-do one section as I done the stitching wrong  :B ) to fit my cover the glue could set before you finish.
To stop this I would fit the cover as in my picture(2nd one) then apply the glue on one section,then stitch that section.
After your fingers have healed (about 2-3 days) then pull the next section off,glue it then fit and stitch that section -----you get the idea !

I think the "give" in the leather should be enough
If your in no rush I "should" be at bovindon this year so I can show you it, presuming you'll be there