Pit Pony

Feeling the need for power steering suggests there may be a problem with your standard system. Heavy steering can be caused by partial seizure or binding in the front trunnions or the rack itself, poor steering geometry or under-inflated tyres.
A Spitfire's steering should be very light but direct,

Cheers,
Bill.

339 wrote:
Picton sportscars did it and apparently it was so difficult they said they wouldn't do another ... [snip]

He didn't say that to me!

Yes, David Picton did the "heavy engineering" part for my Spit 2.5. The extra weight up front and quick rack made the steering quite heavy and I was getting sick of shredded wheat! Assuming you've got the the standard 4-pot then it won't be as light as a modern car but not too bad. Take it for 4-wheel alignment and get it checked. (Some places check for free and only charge for adjustment. Guess what; they always find something to adjust)

I did a little box to wake up the Corsa "C" column. I was going to make it speed sensitive but I just leave it on almost minimum assistance nowadays. I'm not sure I like the feel of the steering. Not as nice as my old Spit, but there are too many variables to pin it on the electric column.

If you decide to do it, I can give you the circuit to make the power assistance spring into life. Don't forget to ask for the connectors with several inches of cable when you buy the column. The non-adjustable height version worked for me. Get someone who knows what they're doing to weld the old column on. (I read something about this decades ago - chamfer both ends and build up the weld. Where did I see that??? )

And last but not least; the power assist column will need a big, well anchored torque arm or it will twist itself off the puny mounting behind the dash.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Thanks everyone for your comments,both good and bad. Gym.....don't think so, the steering is not stiff just extremely heavy,got alleycats on with 175 tyres but it was the same with standard wheels. Trunnions oiled regularly and steering rack greased,maybe try a GT6 rack.