Top steering column bush

Fred101

Help!

I'm trying to change my top steering column bush, I've been on for the last hour trying to follow the directions in the Haynes book of lies and I've now got the outer column free and sliding happily up and down the inner.

The problem is it won't come off, it's like it's stuck on something internally, the outer comes so far up and them just jams.

Any ideas? Am I even doing this correctly? I can see the part I want to change, I just can't get at it!  :-/

I have just changed my bushes. I had the same problem and decided to take the whole column out of the car. The shaft has a thicker part between the top and bottom bushes (in my case for the steering column lock, late model GT6 mk2). I see in the picture you have the same arrangement as I have with the steering column lock.
With the column out of the car it turned out quite easy to change the bushes. Drill out the rubber on both sides where the bush locks into the outer column. You can than, using the shaft, pull the bush out. The new one with some washing up liquid slide in with some force. But remember to fit the shaft back as well. With the column out of the car, you better change the bottom one as well.
The biggest issue was to get the column out and back in the car again.....

I did hear that others just hit the bush down into the column and push the new one in while the column is in the car.

Thanks for that Norgt6, not what I really wanted to hear, but I know now the way forward...

Hmm, well, I've made some progress.  ;)

I've removed the pinch bolt from the steering column side of the knuckle and (insert much straining and swearing) withdrawn the entire inner and outer column. After a lot of gentle persuasion with a drill, a hammer, a screwdriver and a giant metal bar I've got the old bushes out and a single new one in (off to Sports Car Supplies tomorrow for a second one).

Meanwhile, am I correct in thinking that the inner column is meant to be made of two bits which can slide along each other so as to be both adjustable and collapsible in the event of a crash? Mine seems to have solidified  :-/

This is turning into some 10 minute job.  ;D

As said I had the same curse words when dismantling. The top and bottom parts of the inner shaft are supposed to be adjustable and collapsible in a crash. To split the clamp holding them together, you can either loosen the two bolts or try to loosen the allan bolt in the middle (try to loosen the counter nut)...this center one is probably the most difficult one.
Guess for the bottom bush you need to split the two shafts....  

By the way, when mounting the column back and the ignition, check the wire connections. These tend to become quite loose after such a long time and can result in all sorts of electrical issues.....Luckily I was aware of this and had to replace some of the connections.

I've got all the clamps off and still the shafts won't shift/split, the application of a blowtorch, plenty of WD40 and a hammer have created a bit of movement for and aft but it's far from free.

Good point about the wiring. I've already fixed a P.O. bodge in that area and who knows? Maybe I'll get the horn working while I'm on  :)

Well I took the afternoon off work to finish the job and I now have both new bushes fitted. Yay.

However...

I can't get the steering column to go back into the knuckle properly. I've resorted to taking the upper and lower column apart again and braying the top of the lower column with a hammer to no avail. It fits in and I can start the wheels turning but the pinch bolt just won't go through. I can't tell if I need to pull or push the column - it's just jammed in place.

Should the pinch bolt be a standard threaded bolt like what came out? Or should I have a shouldered bolt in there?

Anyone got any tips for getting this ****ing thing into place? My car's off the road unit I can figure this out  :(

It's probably trying to go in on an angle. Get someone to push the shaft in while you try and lift it upwards or push towards the ground. The bolt, I think, is supposed to have an unthreaded shank bearing against the shaft. Use a unlock nut, and don't forget the wee earthing wire.

Now is probably the perfect time to recommend one of Bill's UJs though. They take out a major source of play in the steering, and don't need an earthing wire.