Steering play in column stalk housing

RemcoB

While enjoying my Marcos for the first time again this year, i discovered an enormous amount of radial play in the steering wheel. No axial play. The Marcos has a GT6 steering column. It seems something fell out of the steering housing (the column housing in the interior containing the stalks, don't know the proper term). Nothing's wrong with the steering column itself, nor with the rose joints; it seems the play is caused only by something in the column housing close to the steering wheel. Could there be something missing, eg an extra bearing or shim close to the steering wheel?

Ermmm, put it in Shed tune talk pleese.
eg, Side to side or up,n doon. ;)

side to side, could be the brackets the stop this have come off,or smapped, or where they mount to snapped /cracked
there is one that goes to the central tunnel support on a GT at least.
IF this is missing loose, it will flap alottttttt.
then there the mount under the dash infront of the key holes,  two allen bolts hold this on.

up and doon, the clamp at the bottom of thick bit of shaft, behint the key start, loose,!

then there is the bolt thru the joint where rack meets steering,  bottom bolt loose, then wheel will come up an doon, about a 1/16 ish
also if rubbers in that shot, then it will move even moer.

M

bushes internal to rack will just make it go side to side, but no that much

Side to side & up 'n down! It turned out the top bushing was worn out, resulting in about 1/4 inch of play. As i was in quite a hurry I drove (meandered) to a nearby Triumph workshop here in the Netherlands where it was replaced. Now everything's fine again. Even the blinker return (correct term?) works now - didn't even know the Marcos had one!

Kind regards,

Remco

Archived