Steering Knickle

Dannyb

Yep, the column must be loosened to get it off the rack splines. A simple job but fiddly to get the bolts in and tight, the coupling sits in the suspension turret. May need a hammer if its corroded onto the splines, I use a touch of copperslip on reassembly.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to drive down the motorway without keep correcting it.
It's like those old movies where they are driving in a straight line but keep moving the wheel.
I don't know how it passed the MOT.

Sorted,  Bit of a pig getting the knuckle off the splines but with the use of a ball joint spliter (the type you hammer)  it was not too bad. Made a real difference to the steering.
I had just finished dismantling when the postman arrived with the new one. great timing.
Just one question. on the steering clamp what's the big nut and grub screw for, and does this ever need adjusting.

big nut and grub screw apply just enough pressure on the inner shaft to slide into the outer shaft in the event of an accident.  The grub screw needs to be tight enough to hold it all together without play but "loose" enough to allow the inner shaft to slide on impact.

Archived