Steering joint pinch bolts

npanne

Can anyone advise if the pinch bolts for the steering column joint are regular bolts or curved? I seem to recall that the ones that came off were curved slightly, but the parts catalogue doesn't make reference to this.

Second question - if they are curved, does anyone know where I put them? Have checked all the usual places (bulkhead, battery box, garage floor etc etc), but can't find the bleeders.

A curved bolt,  wonder how you tighten a thing like that up,!!!
any I took out, were straight.

just which  pinch bolts ye on about,

the ones on the joint by the rack
the ones holding the impact/adjuster clamp on
the steering lock ones

Yeah, the ones on the joint between column and rack.
The ones that came out were definitely slightly curved, and in answer to your question : you turn the nut rather than the bolt. Wasn't sure at the time whether they were curved by design or by error / force. Remember thinking at the time how odd they were, and how I should take special care not to lose them - so I know they're somewhere safe....

If they're not curved by design then I'll just get hold of some equ sized regular straight replacements.

The pinch bolts are normal straight bolts. They may have been slightly curved due to some PO thinking that you only slacken to remove knuckle when in fact you have to remove them completely. I can imagine someone bashing the joint for hours until they realised ha ha.
:B :'( ;D

Archived