Steering wheel - recommendations?

Brendan The Spit

So I fixed the choke, got the chrome rim back on the wheel, fitted the foam in the driver seat, still need to repair the heater unit etc etc etc - but I've decided I want a new steering wheel. The current one is the original and whereas it's nice to have the original, it's a bit tatty, frankly.

I do like those Moto-Lita wheels (see http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005789) but at nearly 200 quid it's rather pricey. Any recommendations for anything that looks a bit like that, but doesn't cost an arm, a leg and a couple of fingers?

Hello Brendan,

Moto Lita are very good and I recently bought one for my Scimitar for £26 on E-Bay, I had to buy the correct boss from Moto Lita but even at £50 for that is less than half price all in.
You may need to be patient however, the one I bought was for a Datsun 240Z and there aren't many of those around so less demand = lower price.

Alec

Yes, there's plenty of mountney wheels out there doing sterling service. Not quite as nice as nicely finished as the moto litas but very good for the money. I've got the 12" version with solid black spokes and I've been pretty pleased with it apart from the small issue of the horn button which took me ages to sort out!

Mine is a Moto-Lita. Yes, they're expensive, but worth it I reckon. I'd recommend leather rather than wood rim for several reasons: Wood rims are cold in winter, and being thinner will give you cramp in your fingers on long journeys. In an accident a wood rim can spliter and stab you in the chest!

I've got a Mountney too. Chuffed with it. 14" (I think) and solid spokes 'cos I got my finger caught in a wheel once. Uncomfortably.
Rumpy's right about wood v's leather IMO. I didn't think of myself as a poor relation 'cos I didn't buy a Mota-Lita. Perhaps I should do!

aar0sc - nice photos, especially the Jag.... :-)

smithy wrote:
aar0sc - nice photos, especially the Jag.... :-)

That's dad's Leyland, to go with mine :P

His classic car history's gone: Imp, A35, E-Type. Which I think is a good way of doing it :D

I like the Mountney simple because it says Made in Britain on it (or something to that effect), which obviously I love as it says Britain :D

heraldcoupe wrote:

Beautiful (to my eye), with none of those horrible rivets you get in the modern Mota-Litas.
Never a cheap option though,

Cheers,
Bill.

a mk1 mx5 v special will get you one of those wheels, not sure about the boss though.

i got a Mountney wheel on, BUT like alot of the wheels on the aftermarket scene, was no to impressed with the outer ring of steel / alloy that is out side the center horn cover,
so  as a prolific tikerer, cut the spokes of the mountney at the ring end, and manged to get em to fit into the original GT hub,
made a botch of the first one, so had to make a new spoke from alloy plate, but i ended up with a thicker and much better feeling wheel than the original.

this one pinched form the Hair Bears collection,  ;) ;) its a side veiw

there is a wheel on  e bay at the moment I have been looking at, and it looks very nice, and has got a very thin boss area, which makes the spokes look longer,
this is what I was trying /did do to my own wheel.

this is the link to the one on e bay, , how doo folk put pictures from there to here, !!!

link is this     Item number: 180637330469
Last updated on 08:41:55 BST, 12 Apr, 2011 View all revisions

rgds Marcus  Tinkerous

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180637330469&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D180637330469%26_in_kw%3D1%26_ex_kw%3D%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_okw%3D%26_oexkw%3D%26_adv%3D1%26_udlo%3D%26_udhi%3D%26_ftrt%3D901%26_ftrv%3D1%26_sabdlo%3D%26_sabdhi%3D%26_samilow%3D%26_samihi%3D%26_sadis%3D200%26_fpos%3DPostcode%26_fsradio2%3D%2526LH_PrefLoc%253D1%26_sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D0%26_salic%3D3%26_saact%3D3%26LH_SALE_CURRENCY%3D0%26_fsradio%3D%2526LH_SpecificSeller%253D1%26_saslop%3D1%26_sasl%3D%26_saslt%3D2%26_sop%3D12%26_dmd%3D1%26_ipg%3D50%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

:)

Hairbear! . Cheeky !  :P

Okeedokee Mr Roy, how doo you link it with pic, !! as others have tried, and failed, so what doo you doo,!!

ohhhh Hair Bear, blame the Tigger,  ;) ;)

Smithy, its no catch, its been on and off for a while now, but cos you got to buy a boss to go with it, unless you already got one, then it will cost moer for a boss too.
it does look a nice wheel though.

Marcus

buy any wheel you fancy, a nice leathe one from a modern, then go to your local machine shop and get them to make a boss!
i fitted an alfa wheel to my spit first, the boss cost 15 quid to turn up.
now i've got and mx5 momo wheel, the boss cost me 45 quid to have made, and you can choose exactly how close of far you want your steering wheel to sit.

796 wrote:
Okeedokee Mr Roy, how doo you link it with pic, !! as others have tried, and failed, so what doo you doo,!!

Marcus

Erm,  
I typed into ebay the item number
then went to very top of items page,  left click to highlight it then right click and 'copy'
then paste in the message box here .  ;)  got that ?  ;) :) :)

royboy66 wrote:

Erm,  
I typed into ebay the item number
then went to very top of items page,  left click to highlight it then right click and 'copy'
then paste in the message box here .  ;)  got that ?  ;) :) :)

Ahhh yes, but you no explained it very well,  cos it took some figuring oot  :-/ :-/

for others to doo same, you put the item number in the E Bay box,   BUT, copy the link from the  bigggg long search bar at the top of the computer  screen, NOT the top of the E Bay screen,
easy when you know how, , :P :P :P

least thats how i did it,

or just copy the link from the long search bar, and no need to put in an item number , like i donr for the CT site

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?v-post/b-spit/a-modify/m-1302542793/n-23/

Archived