GT6 steering vagueness

Docman

1045 wrote:

Please don't take offence at my disagreeing but I have the original wheel - no leather, just plain bakelite and have no such problems. I have done the RBRR and a massive eurotrip with the setup.
Of course, vibration may be being absorbed by some other play in the setup!

fair enough it may be just me.but my wheel was 13" where as your standard wheel is 15"?
so the kickback would be amplified with a smaller wheel.

mind you low profile tyres don't help much :)

Good point regarding 80 series tires and wires providing more play, I'm pickng up those in a couple of weeks (I hope I don't regret it, but my TR's of the past always had them).
A comment was made about the radio "H" brace and the steering column bracket sharing attachment.  My "H" brace was removed and needs to be re-installed, also my steering collumn is loose.  I haven't had the opportunity to look at what I'm dealing with (the GT6 being a new acquisition and is stored off-site) but I would like more information on how these two are inter-related.  If the "H" brace is missing, could the steering collumn clamp  be not functioning properly or even missing?  The ignition lock shroud was also removed - is this also integral to the steering collumn clamp/"H" bracket brace?

if the H brace is missing your steering column will move quite a bit.i made the holes in my H brace and the holes in the dash the same size,then dowelled them with a small section of close fitting tube with the original bolts through the tube hole.the closer fitting you can make it all the stiffer it 'should' be.

I haven't had the chance to look at the hole diam. of the H brace and dash since my interior bits are out getting recovered.  If you are saying the holes are a different size?  I can believe that this could be a source of play.  
I' think my car's previous owner took the H brace out for better air circulation.  He also took out the passenger under dash storage tray and installed an occilating fan in it's place.  I'm anxious to see how different the car will feel once everything is secured properly.

Archived