Wood Rimmed Steering Wheels

dimtavies

Has anyone got any advice on how you restore these, I have an old Formula wood rimmed wheel, the wood seems solid enough,, but the finish is worn and tatty there are some cracks in the wood only fine where ,I think the wood has dried out over the years.

I would think some sort of treatment for the wood is needed would that affect the final finish and what is the best thing to finish it with ?

Any suggestions much appreciated

My grandad did my 3 for me.

He carfully removed all teh old varnish, then smoothed it off with very fine sandpaper. Some of the wheels are just a thin veneer on the surface, very thin!

Mixed up varnish and some of the dust from the sanding to make paste to fill the cracks, sanded down when dry. Geta good colour match that way.

Then lots of thin coats of varnish to build up a nice deep finish.

took him a few weeks of work for each one.

Cheers

Colin

I use Rustins Plastic Coating
e.g: http://www.peterchild.co.uk/osc/rustins-plastic-coating-kit-300ml-p-251.html
Very good, very tough, high gloss, satin or matt out of the same box.
Have also used on dashboards.
Although it is technically UV sensitive I have had no problems with the dash (over 10 years) or the wheel (4 years) in the convertible.
C.

That's pretty much what I have done, but I used pva in the cracks and when I sanded the cracks filled with the dust.
Sanded well, wirewooled then laquered.

Never fancied using a wooden wheel. Didn't like the idea of having it impailed through my skull in the event of a crash.

184 wrote:

Never fancied using a wooden wheel. Didn't like the idea of having it impailed through my skull in the event of a crash.

...and very sore on the hands. Every bump is transmitted through the suspension, up the column and into the fingers. I removed mine and fitted a padded leather version which makes for a quieter life.

Quote:
Didn't like the idea of having it impailed through my skull in the event of a crash.

Normally the chest AFAIR.  In the event of sufficient impact to cause this problem a few splinters of wood would be the least of your problems (provided it is wood on an alloy rim).

Quote:
...and very sore on the hands. Every bump is transmitted through the suspension, up the column and into the fingers.

I found that a gasket of inner tube between the wheel and the boss virtually eliminates this problem (you don't have a solid UJ fitted do you?)

Quote:
when i swapped to a leather rimmed wheel for my first track day, <...> Feels soo much better to drive with!

Leather wheels are often larger in diameter and this changes the feel.  I like the narrower one.

Each to his own ...

C.

Archived