what would cause steering wheel play?

soooty

what would cause steering wheel to move up and down on my gt6 mk2?  it moves about 1-2mm up and down and was one of its mot failure points.  Is this a common problem thats easy enough for a newbie to fix?  am i right in thinking you need a special tool to get steering wheels off (they have a big nut holding them on in the middle if its the same an on my old mini). ta.

My Mk1 did that for long enough; it used to be quite scary as I was convinced that someday the wheel was going to come off in my hand....
Open the bonnet and get someone inside to pull / push the steering wheel as you watch the steering joint where it connects to the rack. You will probably see it move up and down on the splines of the steering rack, the same amount as it moves the other end. Tighten the bolt that runs through the steering joint and across the groove in the rack connection and you may find that the problem is now gone.

490 wrote:
My Mk1 did that for long enough; it used to be quite scary as I was convinced that someday the wheel was going to come off in my hand....
Open the bonnet and get someone inside to pull / push the steering wheel as you watch the steering joint where it connects to the rack. You will probably see it move up and down on the splines of the steering rack, the same amount as it moves the other end. Tighten the bolt that runs through the steering joint and across the groove in the rack connection and you may find that the problem is now gone.

ill have a look to see if i can figure out where you mean. thanks

Most likely one of the pinchbolts holding the steering coupling is slack. You'll find the coupling largely hidden inside the suspension turret, get an assistant to pull and push the wheel while you observe what's happening at the bottom end of the column.
If the coupling looks OK, it may be a loose clamp between inner and outer column. This is inside the cabin, just inside the front face of the bulkhead. It can be a bit of a fiddle adjusting this, report back if this is what's loose and we can give you chapter and verse on how to set it properly.
If it is the wheel itself which is loose, you're not going to need a wheel puller as it's already coming undone! In most Triumphs a wheel puller isn't necessary in any case, at least not in my experience,
Cheers,
Bill.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to the punch!

When Soooty said up & down I thought he meant vertically up & down ie. towards & away from the windscreen. If this is the case you need to replace the upper column bush which is a little rubber/metal/nylon bush inside the column just below the indicator & headlamp stalks.

Archived