Refurbished steering rack has a leak

fermer

Hi,

I purchased a refurbished steering rack from EJWard in the summer, fitted it and all seemed to be ok. Since it's sat in the garage for the winter I noticed all the fluid had disappeared from the reservoir. On closer inspection there is a small continuous leak from the main body of the casing at the screw thread on the passenger side (see pictures).

I have written to them and am waiting a reply (I will give them a call when their back from Xmas to see if they are willing to help fix the problem) although as it's outside the 14 day fault notification period I'm not sure how helpful they'll be.

I did wounder if it might be possible to screw in the main body of the rack somehow or use gasket paste, but people on the TSSC forum suggested this was a bad idea and I should push for the company to rectify?

I do wish I'd had my own unit refurbished and not exchanged it, you live and learn!  

Thought I'd see if anyone on this forum had any thoughts, although I appreciate it's probably the same circle of people!

Thanks,

Paul

depends where the play is - if it's in the rack and pinion teeth then I don't know.  If its in the inner ball joints on the track rods, then this can be rectified by removing or refitting shims (can't remember which!).

Re your leak, give EJW a ring, I've had to send parts back before - they could not be more helpful.

1741 wrote:
While we're on the subject or steering racks mine has play in it. Is there any way of tightening it up or adjusting it to reduce this play?

I've just taken my rack out to find why my steering wheel is sloppy before anything moves (Is this the problem you have?).Some of the play is in the lower shaft u/j's but most of it is that the roll pin shown arrowed (left arrow) in the photo has become loose in the hole .

Cheers Steve

fermer: The 14 day fault notification period is just a red herring; your consumer rights in law will apply (item should be fit for purpose and of merchantable quality etc). Make sure you complain in writing.  

stagdad wrote:

I've just taken my rack out to find why my steering wheel is sloppy before anything moves (Is this the problem you have?).Some of the play is in the lower shaft u/j's but most of it is that the roll pin shown arrowed (left arrow) in the photo has become loose in the hole .

Cheers Steve

Steve, I think this must be quite common; I have had this problem and I fitted a solid pin in place of the roll pin; countersunk the ends and peened over the pin to retain it.  Much stronger than the roll pin, which can get damaged by turning the rack with the engine off.  

2854 wrote:

Steve, I think this must be quite common; I have had this problem and I fitted a solid pin in place of the roll pin; countersunk the ends and peened over the pin to retain it.  Much stronger than the roll pin, which can get damaged by turning the rack with the engine off.  

Good Idea Chris,I did order a 5mm roll pin to go in place of the 4mm one but a solid one makes sence.Did you find a hardened pin? I usually use a masonary nail (OBO) for things like that as they are very hard.Don't think you need to peened it over though as it will be held by the outer fitting of the lower shaft ,also you might want to take it out again.I'll try and find an interferance fit.
Cheers Steve

2803 wrote:
Steve, you are doing a lot of work to that car at the moment. Have you started the clutch project as well?

Not this session Graham ,maybe next winter as my clutch is quite good at the moment.I have just fitted a front bib spoiler like Russes though,can't decide if I should paint it white or leave it black though.

steve, ithink after 30 plus years i little play is probably expected and i see no reason to change from the initial design spec sellox/roll pins should do fine in the next up size and should probably last another 30yrs plus before you need to strip it out again ;) if this was a problem area the designers wre not stupid and would of specked something of greater strength ,it lasted this long and thats much more than they would of planned for.if your still unsure you could fit a taper pin little more work but an enginneered solution.
steve.......................

1298 wrote:
steve, ithink after 30 plus years i little play is probably expected and i see no reason to change from the initial design spec sellox/roll pins should do fine in the next up size and should probably last another 30yrs plus before you need to strip it out again ;) if this was a problem area the designers wre not stupid and would of specked something of greater strength ,it lasted this long and thats much more than they would of planned for.if your still unsure you could fit a taper pin little more work but an enginneered solution.
steve.......................

Thanks Steve ,congrats on braking your duck ;)

stagdad wrote:

Not this session Graham ,maybe next winter as my clutch is quite good at the moment.I have just fitted a front bib spoiler like Russes though,can't decide if I should paint it white or leave it black though.

steve, is this the TR6 spoiler?, did it take much cutting to make it fit. oh and happy new year

Ian

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on the leaking issue.

I am intrigued by this "pin" though, neither the steering rack I took out or received had a pin.  Are all racks of the same design or did they change through the years.   I just bolted the U/J tight to the spines with the bolt (seems to hold fine).  Should reconditioned steering racks come with his "pin" or do they expect your original to have one whihc you reuse.

Thanks,

Paul

2798 wrote:

steve, is this the TR6 spoiler?, did it take much cutting to make it fit. oh and happy new year

Ian

Hi Ian,happy new year to you and yours also,yep it's the TR6 one .I got it off Alan 157.7 .Ive managed to fit it straight on with no cutting,just put in 5x 4mm rivnuts,only trouble is i cant stand back and look at it square on yet untill its up and running.
Cheers Steve

3018 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts on the leaking issue.

I am intrigued by this "pin" though, neither the steering rack I took out or received had a pin.  Are all racks of the same design or did they change through the years.   I just bolted the U/J tight to the spines with the bolt (seems to hold fine).  Should reconditioned steering racks come with his "pin" or do they expect your original to have one whihc you reuse.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul ,you may not have noticed the pin as it would have been flush with the shaft ,I had tapped it almost out when I took that photo,The slop in it would have measured 5 mm at the steering wheel outer edge so I'm confident I have found my problem.

Cheers Steve

2803 wrote:
Steve,

I have a similar amount of play on the steering with a recon rack. Is this pin accessable with the rack on the car?

you might be able to see it Graham but you would have to remove the lower shaft first which I guess is only possable after removing either the rack or the steering column as it is trapped between the 2 . and then you probably wouldn't be able to do anything with it as regards drilling for a larger pin as you just wouldn't get a drill in there.

Cheers Steve

Hi,

Thought I better post that I have now spoken to the guys at EJward and have discussed my problem with the steering rack and they have agreed to take back the steering rack and fix or replace.

I now just have to remove it from the car (easy) and then find a suitable box to ship it in (hard).

Archived