Power steering failure

stag_ste

If it's not leaking then you have an internal failure, either a seal or something worse.

For me personally, this usually takes it outside the realm of DIY repairs, but so far in my experience it's been the pump that's failed. And these are fairly generic items; the stag pump looks exactly the same as a jag pump I've had and those are the same as some generic GM pumps.

You may at least be able to tell whether it's the pump or the rack if you disconnect the high pressure hose at the rack (and poke it into a bottle) then run the pump for a moment. It should empty out a lot of fluid very quickly if it's working. If it doesn't move any fluid or doesn't move much fluid then that points to the pump. If it does pump fluid then it's inconclusive; the pump could just be failing under load. There may be a better test I don't know about but that's one I would try; you're going to be emptying out all the fluid soon anyway.

Don't drive around with no fluid in the system though.

Although the pump is generic, they are tuned to suit different models to give the correct feedback to the driver.

There are two pumps for the 2000/2.5 range, with matching control valves on the racks.  My old PI had a mismatched pump and control valves when I bought it, and the steering was excessively light.

The Stag pump may be different again, need to check part numbers.

Steve H

Archived