1969 mk1 steering wheel

AlastairC

Hi All
The Mk1 (1969) I am getting (which now looks like I am not going to be able to get delivered till late april) has a vast steering wheel.  I would like to get something a little smaller and considering the vast range sf steering wheels triumph made there should be something suitable.

Am I right in thinking that the s/wheel out of a stag is the same as a dolomite? Is that the same as a PI wheel?  Given that the car dosent have PAS im thinking that something about 15" would be suitable?  

Would I have any problems fitting a smaller wheel to a mk1.  Recommendations ? Thoughts?

cheers

Alastair

Hi Alastair, I have an s wheel on my 69 and it fits but there is a gap between the back of the wheel and the plastic steering column cover, you can see the steering column shaft and some of the indicator mech- pretty ugly. The wheel also doesn't have enough dish, meaning you have to reach pretty far out and your fingers go too close to the indicator stalk. I was looking at getting a moto-lita with the right dish and boss to suit. The size of the s wheel is pretty good though for heaviness, I wouldn't personally go smaller.
Cheers
Josh

I used a 15" Motolita leather rim wheel in my Mk1 saloon 'rally car' for many years with no problems.

On the Mk1 PI estate I have the wood rim Motolita 15" wheel, refurbished by Lee Godfrey but to which I have fitted a Motolita aluminium billet boss (the saloon had a black finish one).  This is until I can get a complete original PI wheel (yes I know 'hen's teeth), or can find a good boss/centre to go on a genuine wheel that I have been offered.  

Go direct to Motolita to buy anything.  On their website you have the full range of wheel options and boss types.  Also the last time that I checked the prices were cheaper than Rimmer!

MUT