MKI powered steering ?

popeye

Hello to everybody,

Here is my new (may be stupid) question: does the power steerig was an option for MKI? was it available in 1966? I discovered the power steering system when I was reading the workshop manual.
What is needed for the conversion? Can I fit it on a 2000MKI block as it seems there as special mounting bolts ...?LOLLOL
Sorry if it seems stupid but i have no idea of the fitment on big saloon. The steering on the car is very heavy in town driving !! :o :o
Many thanks for all the inputs and helps
Cheers

Does your engine have a (square'ish) boss on the sides of the block near the front? Not sure when they came in as they were also used for GT6 and Vitesse engine mounts.

The PAS pump bolts on there. All the other bits should be bolt on including, but not neccasarily a comprehensive list;

PAS Rack, PAS Pump, PAS Crossmember, PAS Track Rod ends, PAS steering arms, PAS Steering column coupling, Hydrualic hoses. Engine front plate. Radiator water return pipe.

It was not available on the MKI but can be retro fitted (been done a few times).  

Richard_B wrote:

Going to use your 2000 at the Autosolo James?  :-/

It's too heavy to autosolo with the overly tight CT tests :) For everything else it's no issue at all.

It wouldn't be an issue with the CSMA tests for instance.

[quote=Richard_B)

PAS Rack, PAS Pump, PAS Crossmember, PAS Track Rod ends, PAS steering arms, PAS Steering column coupling, Hydrualic hoses. Engine front plate. Radiator water return pipe. [/quote]

Crankshaft pulley & belt, and most importantly..... make sure you fit the PAS steering arms as above. Otherwise it will feel like you are steering with the back wheels! ;D

391 wrote:
What year is your Mk1 Popeye?

I stand to be corrected but I think the early cars have to have a piece cut out of the chassis rail so that the steering column link piece doesn't hit it?  :-/

Yup, my Mk1 has PAS and has a chassis cut out, looks very "factory" but I guess you could do likewise with an FBH and some sweat :-)

Thanks for the help !!!  :)
The car is from 05/1966. NO PAS fitted. the steering is very heavy in town driving :o !! once on the road: it is perfect but sometime I have the feeling to drive an old truck  :)
OUah!!! it doesn't look to be and easy or cheap modification !!!  :'( :'(

"Does your engine have a (square'ish) boss on the sides of the block near the front? Not sure when they came in as they were also used for GT6 and Vitesse engine mounts.

The PAS pump bolts on there. All the other bits should be bolt on including
"

Thanks Richard: what you said is the origin of my question. The block seems to be an early 2000 with the breather on the sideor the block. There is no square'ish bosses on it: so I thought the PAS wasn't available for the 2000MKI pre-facelift  ::) ::)

popeye wrote:
Thanks for the help !!!  :)
The car is from 05/1966. NO PAS fitted. the steering is very heavy in town driving :o !! once on the road: it is perfect but sometime I have the feeling to drive an old truck  :)
OUah!!! it doesn't look to be and easy or cheap modification !!!  :'( :'(

It's not too bad to do once you have all the bits. And once it's done, you'll wish you'd done it sooner!  Both of my Mk1's have power steering now :) (and smaller steering wheels! ;D)

391 wrote:

It's not too bad to do once you have all the bits. And once it's done, you'll wish you'd done it sooner!  Both of my Mk1's have power steering now :) (and smaller steering wheels! ;D)

Steve

Do you want to do my estate for me ;D

cheers andy

1555 wrote:
i have no problems in driving my mk1 estate as i used to drive mk2 cortina`s(for 7yrs) they have steering box steering,,so a rack is like having P A S to me  :)

Even so, if you drive a big saloon with a decent (i.e not knackered) PAS set up, you'll realise that Triumph should have fitted it from the outset.

I have problems steering my Mk1 without power steering, cos even when your 6ft 4 and big with it, when the dreaded arthritis sets in the PAS is necessary for me to be able to drive MOE, when I first had it fitted the rack fitted was way too light, and not very progressive. It leaked like a sieve forever going wrong and only lasted around 6.000 miles, I have recently had a new rack which seemed to heavy at first, but now it has a few miles under the belt, it seems that it is becoming a bit lighter, that or my body is improving lol. My set up was from a 2.5S.

Archived