Triumph 2000 Light switch on steering coloumn

Nick_Toledo72

Hi fellow Triumph owners....

I noticed a day ago that when I move my light switch from side lights to main lights... it's just stays on side lights.

When I 'flash' my lights, both my main lights become lit (all 4 headlights), meaning its not a bulb issue.

Looks to me like it's something to do with the turn swith on the steering coloumn? Is this common & would this be my first port of call to take out and replace with new or recon switch?

Thanks

Nick

Hello Nick,

do neither dip or main beam work as it would be unusual to lose both? Certainly the indicator and dip\main switch can have problems but it's worth first checking that there isn't a problem with the main (rotary) switch? If you remove the shroud  you can visually inspect the indicator and dip\main switch, blue is the feed from the main light switch and blue\white is main beam, blue\red is the dip beam. The contacts are easily inspected and can even be tweaked to give more pressure to the contacts. If you have a meter check for voltage on the blue.

Alec

Hi Alec,

All other operations work on the stalk... ie flash, permenet flash, indicators, horn etc.

I have found a recon rotary switch on ebay, so I will fit it to see if it cures the problem..

It's just happened, just when the MOT is due.... typical !!  ;D

Hello Nick,

with respect, it's better to look first and determine the problem. The column switch has many contacts which is why other parts function OK. The headlamp flash does use the main beam contact but it's supply is a permanent live (purple wire). As I said it's possible that slightly bending the contact arms will restore their functions but it will be short term. The advice to fit relays for a long term solution is a good one.

Alec

It's possible to salvage a burnt column switch by using a pair of relays.
Use a primary relay from the main light switch. This in turn is fed through a changeover relay between full & dip. The changeover relay does away with one of the feeds from the burnt out switch, so the damaged contact can be eliminated.

Hopefully that makes sense, it's a fix I've used on this lighting arrangement in the past. If both full & dip contacts are burned (which is unlikely) then you will have to replace the column switch,

Cheers,
Bill.

:B  Yeah..... when you know how.   There is a small hole in the outer surface of the knob, and at the bottom lurks a spring loaded button on the shaft which needs to be poked in to allow the knob to be withdrawn.  Suprisingly hard to spot that critical hole I found......

Once the knob is off, ordinary spanner or even pliers..... and that's a pre-facelift switch.  I'll get my anorak......

I know alot more about big Triumphs than I did 9 months ago - sure there's plenty left though.

Nick

aawwwwwwwwww

Little hole located.... pushed a thin alan key in...... hey presto....the knob fell off !!

yyyaaayyy

Right..... on with getting the issue of no dip beam sorted. (i.e goes to side lights on first turn of the swith, but no dip on second turn... just stays on side lights)

I've checked the stalk by the way, and all operations work fine on it, so this will be my first port of call.

Thanks for you help guys... Hopefull next post will say I've sorted it  ;D

piman wrote:

If you remove the shroud  you can visually inspect the indicator and dip\main switch, blue is the feed from the main light switch and blue\white is main beam, blue\red is the dip beam. The contacts are easily inspected and can even be tweaked to give more pressure to the contacts. If you have a meter check for voltage on the blue.

Alec

I have RED - RED/GREEN - BLUE - RED YELLOW -BROWN

BLUE = Main Feed
RED/GREEN and the others ? ... my electrical diagram isn't making it very clear  :-/

Brown is the feed.  Should be live.
Red/yellow goes to the panel lights - should be live in any position except off/park
Red/green is side lights etc
Blue is the main lights - goes off the the dip switch.  Should be live in the main lights position.
If pre-facelift you may have another too (Red) for the parking lights.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Brown is the feed.  Should be live.
Red/yellow goes to the panel lights - should be live in any position except off/park
Red/green is side lights etc
Blue is the main lights - goes off the the dip switch.  Should be live in the main lights position.
If pre-facelift you may have another too (Red) for the parking lights.

Nick

missed one Nick.....not sure of the colours but there's a fog light position on early cars.
Alex

Hi..

Looks like I've started quite a colour discussion  ;D

Thanks to you all for checking this out for me.....

However... I have replaced the old rotary switch with a recon one... and unfortunatley I have the same problem  :(

Looks like its a issue with the stalk after all, seems strange as all the functions work, but hey ho.

Being as the MOT is so close is there a quick fix for this? like just create a circuit off two or one wire(s) off the stalk and add a switch? The problem is that I don't have proper time to deadicate as I'm off on holiday soon and wanted to get it sorted before then?

Your thoughts?

Thanks again

Nick

Hello Nick,

"seems strange as all the functions work,"

Surely not as you don't have any dip\mains?

Take the column shroud off and check for voltage at the blue wire with the main switch in the headlight position. If you have, and with the column switch in the dip position, the contacts fed by the blue and the blue\red should be touching, In the main position the contacts fed by the blue and blue\white should be touching. When you switch between dip and main these contacts should move slightly which means they have a slight pressure. Try using some wet and dry to clean up the contacts and bend them slightly if there is insufficient pressure.

Alec

Archived