Spitfire Steering rack and quarterlight glass

GreenV8Machine

sorbs wrote:

The PAS rack is 3.25 turns lock to lock whereas the manual is 4.25 or something like that.  The quick rack is much nicer on a twisty road and  and I think the power assitance is a big benefit at low speeds.  

Exactly, and that's why the WC rally cars used them (but unassisted)

sorbs wrote:

Once you get above 30 or 40 mph PAS on a big Triumph should feel much the same as manual steering in terms of weighting which is pretty light at speed anyway.

Right again. Any different to the above means you have a Stag rack fitted, or your re conditioner has built it to Stag specification (as they all seem to be doing these days).

A Stag specification rack fitted incorrectly to a saloon makes for naff over assisted modern car type lack of feel horribleness.

So what you think would have been fitted to Aussie built 2500tc?..............only the one I just sold on behalf of Frank Ashton originally had a very light power steering rack that was a bit nervy to drive with.Everything was renewed nut still light and was told it was probably a quick rack???????.....................and it still hanging about in a garage

I also recommend Chris Witor for the spit ratio rack and also recommend Alloy solid rack clamps ..........looking into mounting the rack higher 10-15mm to compensate the geometry of a lowered car. To help prevent jittery steering on bumpier B roads.

Archived