Spitfire Steering rack and quarterlight glass

GreenV8Machine

Im going to change my steering rack this week and was wondering about my options. I would prefer something a little quicker, but not TOO heavy. Replacing the whole system and installing an antiroll bar setup.

Also, how are the front quartlight glasses held in? One of them has a chunk missing letting in a whislty noise!

Awesome, sounds about right for what I need. is it a direct replacement? or mods required? as im wondering about the mountings, I have a spare set of new alloy spitty rack mounts laying around. not looked at my steering rack on the 2000, so wondering whether the V8 might be in the way!

Andy Pearce has a quick rack and its a dream to use at all but parking speeds.However with that said your engine would be considerably lighter than a 2.5 so should be lighter as a result.
Although Andys is heavier than mine its not unbearable I'm just not sure I'd be able to get it into place on my driveway as its in an awkward spot.

By the way nice car Phil!

sorbs wrote:
I'd go for PAS; that way you get the quicker rack and parking becomes a doddle.  

These cars are really nice to drive if they have a PAS system in good condition.

But we want to "drive" them not park them.
PAS is for woolie softies....no offence ;)

sorbs wrote:

Look again at what I wrote.  :-/

Sorry....your point?
All I'm saying is that power steering is way too light and it lacks feedback aswell.
If its what you like then fine I just expressed my opinion on pas.

Alex wrote:

Sorry....your point?
All I'm saying is that power steering is way too light and it lacks feedback aswell.
If its what you like then fine I just expressed my opinion on pas.

If you look at my post once more you'll see I said that PAS makes a big Triumph really nice to drive.  Note my use of the word drive  ;D

If PAS on a big Triumph feels too light and lacks feedback then there's something wrong with it. A knackered set up will feel awful; light and vague as you describe.

However, each to their own.

GT6_User_and_Abuser wrote:

Also, how are the front quartlight glasses held in? One of them has a chunk missing letting in a whislty noise!

Best to have a look in the Haynes or workshop manual, I think there are a few fixings in places you wouldn't expect.

My quarterlights are a bit whistly for 10 minutes or so after being closed, it's as if the seals gradually bed against the glass and if I pull the glass hard against the seals, the noise stops.  I was thinking of trying to build up the lips of the seals with sillicon sealant or something.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Erm... maybe..... there isn't alot of room around the rack on a Vitesse and the PAS one is bigger in places.  More spinach?

Nick

I've tried the spinnach Nick but to no avail, the bigger 15" wheel has gone back.

Looks like a Corsa electric jobby when the arms get too weak.

Hello OTG,

Retrofiting a PAS rack to a 2000 involves also changing the steering arms as due to the larger diameter of the rack body, the geometry is upset?

My Lord, with a manual steering 2000, I know when the front is close to losing grip as the steering goes lighter, do you get the same with PAS as it is already light anyway?

Incidentally I've just sent my rack to Chris Witor who does get them overhauled with either standard or lower ratio pinion option. (I selected the latter)

Alec

piman wrote:
Hello OTG,

Retrofiting a PAS rack to a 2000 involves also changing the steering arms as due to the larger diameter of the rack body, the geometry is upset?

My Lord, with a manual steering 2000, I know when the front is close to losing grip as the steering goes lighter, do you get the same with PAS as it is already light anyway?

Incidentally I've just sent my rack to Chris Witor who does get them overhauled with either standard or lower ratio pinion option. (I selected the latter)

Alec

Yes, you'll still be able to sense loss of grip just as with manual steering.

Once you get above 30 or 40 mph PAS on a big Triumph should feel much the same as manual steering in terms of weighting which is pretty light at speed anyway.

The PAS rack is 3.25 turns lock to lock whereas the manual is 4.25 or something like that.  The quick rack is much nicer on a twisty road and  and I think the power assitance is a big benefit at low speeds.  

Archived