Toledo lower steering joint

swoakes

On cars with adjustable steering columns it is far easier to release the clamp and pull the column out. I did mine about two weeks ago. Doddle, took about half an hour, though you do need a willing girlfriend to sit in the car and push the column back into the upper joint while you hold said joint in place. And you dont need to go under the car and bareley even get your hands dirty.

I realise the Toledo has a fixed column and cant remember how it is fixed to the dash but if it is fairly simple to remove from that end I'd say go for it . Just remove the pinch bolt from the top of the upper joint and pull the column out from inside the car. Then remove both joints together from the rack and separate them once out of the car, it's easier that way.

I replaced the whole steering rack not long ago and it wasn't too difficult.  You should be able to move the offside of the rack forward enough to clear the steering joint by removing the offside "U" clamping bolt and loosening the one on the nearside.  Then remove both of the steering joint clamping bolts and tap the joint clear of the rack.  With the clamps loose, the whole rack can be rotated bodily to allow sufficient clearance to remove and replace the joint without disturbing the column, although that is also a possible way to do it.  Recommend re-checking the clamp bolts for tightness after a few weeks use - the splines worked loose on mine and they may need to bed-in.  

Simon

Archived