Clutch & brake M/Cyl sizes?

Talkwrench

Thanks for reply Bill.
Standard hey? I was told they where "the next size up" there you go. Well the car is still under 900kg but yes the pulling up at 70mph which it will do quickly no probs can be a chore. I dont "feel" there is an imbalance in the brakes I think t really comes down to the way that dual circuit balancey thingy works, from what Im feeling it laterally doubles the amount force you need to work the brakes. Lets hope the VH44 booster helps that.

Yes from what I saw the slave  push rod was welded at the end so its been "made up" , if I could find an adjustable one that would help, any ideas on what the length should be?

9016 wrote:
Standard hey? I was told they where "the next size up" there you go.

Type 12s were used until about 1966/7, then type 14s became standard. So they are an upgrade for a certain timeframe, standard thereafter.

Quote:
Yes from what I saw the slave  push rod was welded at the end so its been "made up" , if I could find an adjustable one that would help, any ideas on what the length should be?

I don't have so much 6-cylinder stuff here to measure, but I think that what's technically 'correct' is academic. Measure the rest position of the slave piston, ie pushed right back down the bore, then calculate what kind of play there would be between that and the rest position of the rod, ie fully forward, bearing just making contact with the clutch cover. Clearance should be minimal but measurable, excessive clearance needs to be eliminated,

Cheers,
Bill.

Next time I get to look at the slave I'll measure it for sure. It did seem to me that it only came back so far but if I pushed against it, it would certainly go back further, so yes that could be taken up. I stacked about  1/2" of washers to push the slave forward still didn't want to improve greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update; weird ... The more I use the clutch the better it seems, it's bearable now, just, I can't explain that one..??
I fitted the booster and what a PITA that was the only place I could fit it was over the master cylinders and I literally have it with a 1/4" to spare before it touches the bonnet. its not connected as I still need to make up some lines and figure out where I'll get the vacuum from. I'll add some pics when all done.