Locked Rear Wheel on Axle Stands

Hallum

Hi,
Drove my Mk3 spit into the garage about a month ago now to do some extensive work on the gearbox. The gear box is now back on, tested and is working fine. However, I discovered the while testing the gears on the axle stands I noticed that only one of the rear wheels was rotating, the other just juddering. Handbrake is off, is it likely the something may have happened to the diff while its been on stands?
I don't want to take it off and try driving it in fear that it may do the car no good.
Any ideas?
thanks in advance?

Just to slightly expand on ferny's comment:
A properly working standard (i.e. not limited slip) diff allows the wheels to rotate at entirely different speeds as long as the average of the two is correct for the propshaft rotation. It is most common, therefore, to experience what you're seeing, because one of the wheels is bound to be a tiny bit stickier than the other, and once the loose one starts to turn it presents even less stickiness. Very occasionally you'll come across a car where the wheel bearings are both very free, the brake shoes are worn out (or just backed off a lot) and the diff has got a bit sticky. Only then will you see both wheels rotate together when on axle stands, but it's still not necessarily a problem if you do.