Dressing the rear arches

Stu 1986

I thought about this on my herald and my father had problems fitting some cozmic wheels to his Vitesse they rubbed on the rear arches, so when l rebuilt the rear buck l rolled over the arches then and l have fitted 185's on the rear and 165's on the front :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2748 wrote:
Machining the wheel mounting face? No, not really an option. The offset is set by the casting of the actual wheel rim.

i have done this myself to give a 3mm clearance without any issues but does depend on how much meat is in the wheel.

You are correct the casting process has a number of different positions for the spoke core to give different offsetts but most patterns have two positions really wide have 3, its to minimise the ammount of machining and hence waste material but from one blank many offsets can be created.

5820 wrote:

those wheels look very nice but aren't they slog mags?

Slot mags? Yes, Cosmic Supaslots - 5.5x13's

I binned them and fitted Wolfrace Slot Mags with a smaller offset, 0.13" vs 0.5" as the previous owner had fitted 165/70's to get clearance and it made for interesting handling.

Wolfrace with 0.5" offset - same as Cosmics

Wolfrace with 0.13 offset - note the wheel face is now sunken behind the mounting face

You can see how much the rim moves relative to the mounting face.

Oh that does look nice,love the colour combination with those wheels.
I'm itching to know if it's a stripe or a two tone finish!!! ;D

Have you asked a local tyre company if they are aware of a tyre that has less sidewall protrusion?
I do hope you solve it!

Alex

Have you considered a lowering block?
By lowering the rear, the wheels will go in at the top!

• 4 weeks later...