mk1 rear arches remanufacture

lloydpiestate

hello everybody,

yet more kind club members have come to our aid and lent me a pair of nos rear wings, so i can now get cracking on getting the wheel arch section done and also the rear lower section ( under bumper return that goes on to meet the rear lower valance. )

im hoping to collect them next week and will get them to the manufacturer as soon as i can so i can get you all a price, but the price is determined on how many we want, so who of you out there are interested ?

the wheel arch will be a complete one piece section

let me know guys

all the best

lloyd

hi colin, lee and r2fu,

many thanks and ive put you all on the list.

colin, sorry i should of said on the posting, yep i will be drawing the repair panel shape and sizes on every panel that i get and post them on the forums before sending them off to the manufacturer ( as i did with the mk1 ) so you can all see my intentions.

ive owned big trumbies since i was 14 and have seen where they rust and to what degree, so every panel that i get done will be totally suitable for the job, BUT THAT DONT MEAN THAT I KNOW IT ALL, IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS OR THINK AFTER SEEING MY DRAWINGS OF ANY PANEL THAT IM GETTING DONE, SHOULD BE CHANGED IN ANY WAY, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AS YOUR INPUT IS MOST WELCOME.  :)

some panels, i may do two variants of, e.g the mk1 front arch. my mk1 has already had the arches done at some point, but need doing again, as so there is less of the wing left to attatch it to, hence why the variants, one with a wider flange of metal and one slightly thinner for cars that havent had thiers done before, so one will also be cheaper than the other,  :) :)

i may also do this with the rear arches and the mk2 fronts.

once again, thanks to everyone for thier help and best wishes in what im doing.

lloyd

hey andy,

you 2 are on the list.

thanks for the offer for the money for the fronts, but i wont be asking for monies off anyone until i have thier panels with me, ill cover the costs until delivery.

the front cost has changed slightly, and until i have the prototype one with me to check it over ( a week or so away ) i wont know what the final price will be,

lloyd    

It's possible to tig weld it using stainless filler rod. Would there not be an issue with sacraficial corrosion though with having stainless steel welded to a mild steel body?

However, I would like a set of rear wings, so both sides, and like radders, possibly two sets!

Jimbo, Years ago, I did the 2 rear lower wings on the GT with stainless patches.
used  a mig to weld em together, used stainless wire too,  they have been ok .

just seems lodgical to me to make em oot of some thing that wont rust.
especially a wheel arch.

M

Jonny_Jimbo wrote:
It's possible to tig weld it using stainless filler rod. Would there not be an issue with sacraficial corrosion though with having stainless steel welded to a mild steel body?

It's a theoretical problem, however completely sealing the join under paint (both sides) should prevent this.
There's a nice concise article here - not aimed at our applications, but very relevant:
http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=101

Nevertheless, I feel it would be foolish to market stainless panels for this application as the supplier has no control over their end use.

Cheers,
Bill.

I have often welded stainless to mild steel though mainly when making a framework to which I wanted a 'captive' nut because using a stainless nut or stud of course provides a fixing that won't rust and seize.

I always use gas for this and with a good grade (306) filler rod welds beautifully. My only reservation about using a stainless panel would be the difficulty of any dressing into shape afterwards.

Oh and there is the practical one from the manufacturing side of cost and the sheer difficulty of forming the bl**dy stuff on what is probably a short run tool - would kna**er it quite quickly! ??)

Ted

1526 wrote:
I have often welded stainless to mild steel though mainly when making a framework to which I wanted a 'captive' nut because using a stainless nut or stud of course provides a fixing that won't rust and seize.

I always use gas for this and with a good grade (306) filler rod welds beautifully. My only reservation about using a stainless panel would be the difficulty of any dressing into shape afterwards.

Oh and there is the practical one from the manufacturing side of cost and the sheer difficulty of forming the bl**dy stuff on what is probably a short run tool - would kna**er it quite quickly! ??)

Ted

Sorry, just spotted a typo.  Should read 316 which is a better grade of high corrosion resistant stainless compared to the to the cheaper 304.

Ted

hi there,

i hope to get the mk2 front wings and the mk1 rear wings to the manufacturer within the next two weeks.

hopefully i will have a price back from them a week after dropping them off,  then dependant on how busy they are, and the price is ok, production will begin as soon as possible.

the wheels of industry in this country, sadly, seem to move rather slowly  >:( but the end result will be worth the wait as my aim is quality, both in shape of panel and ease of fitment.

i will keep you all informed of developments at every stage.

lloyd