GT6 HS6 SU Carbs / HIF 44

tiggrr1

97679 wrote:
Whose Andrew Turner?   Can he supply adapators and manifolds that are already ported out/modified to fit a 2.5PI engine? Can he shorten the dashpots and dampers for me?
GT6Boy - are HIF6's as good HIF44's or HS6's?  You seem to like the HIF types of carb.   If HIF6's are only average kit, would I be better to source some genuine short dashpot Dolly Sprint HS6's?
Many thanks.
Nick J.

Andrew Turner is a decent bloke who will be only to pleased to advise you as required, if you give him a tinkle. He can supply all the SU carb parts you would require. He doesn't do gas flowed manifolds though, that would be down to you to acheive- Chris Witor would be a very good start for that.

The HIF carbs represent the last in the line of the SU manual choke carbs. Therefore, they have all the evolutionary developments SU devised over the years. The HS carbs(1960/70's) were superceeded by the HIF4/6/8 (1970's) and then the HIF38/44(1980's). The SU is a very reliable carb- dead easy to maintain and adjust- irrespective of model. But the HIF38/44's have various design improvements which make them both very reliable and better functioning. Win win ;D!

tiggrr1 wrote:
Look what came today 8)
Question is do I ditch the autochoke.........................Probably ;D

Autochoke?!?! :X That means it's a KIF44 perhaps? I'm afraid that's unchartered territory for me, sorry. Let us know the tags and we'll crack the code :).

Edit. No, I was wrong. It is indeed a pair of HIF44E carbs (I never checked the original Ebay listing!) There seems t be quite a few Rover SD1 enthusiasts websites with some info on these carbs out there, but I don't know the viability of ditching the Autochoke biz-o? :-/

This should do the trick  :)

Choke conversion kit  for the Hif 44e ;D

The tags on the carbs are FZX-1473R (the one with the autochoke unit)
and FZX 1473F (the standard looking one)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380032335733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

:) Hi Tig' How are you?
                                    Just been looking at your enquiry of 2 years ago re 2500 engine and carbs/ manifold etc for gt6.
My car is currently at Mark Fields place in Corby (Jigsaw Racing),For new TR6 eng'(long story)  Has the 150bhp cam. He is also fitting a new triple manifold I have had sent to him from America (Richard Good) Goodparts,in Pensyvania. Google GoodParts and take a look at his website. Go to Triple manifolds for GT6 for use with 1.75 carbs.. He advocates use of the stubbier dashpots and pistons from the TR4, I have the whole carbs off ebay 3 of.
These will be tried first. Yes its costing me an arm and a leg ,but once you've started something you carry on. cheers for now Nick,TSSC. :)

Hi Nick, I've given up on fitting the hiff 44's and I now have most of the bits to fit fuel injection to the car instead but that is on hold untill next year as I have spent too much on tyres and leather seats at the moment. Can't have the missus moaning too much ;)

Archived