chunky63

it has always surprised me that arch mounted inertia belts work. I thought they needed to be vertical. The reel unit on my car is immediately below the wheel arch mount and sits in the right angle between the floor and the base of the arch. This necessitates drilling a new mounting through the wheel arch but the belts come with a stiffening backing plate.

You can get SECURON seat belts with an adjuster on to align the inertia - it allows you to mount at virtually any angle but still have fully functioning inertial reels.
(I used them to put better/extra belts in my old Land Rover, I used this http://www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm as a reference when choosing my belts)

My car had factory fitted static belts anchored near the top of the wheel arches. When I got inertia reel they were mounted as John's. However they came with an additional bracket which fitted to the original static mount and angled the belt over my shoulder.