Brake Master Cylinder - question

Bainzy

Needed to top up the brake master cylinder and the cover was tough to get off, it's the large clear plastic type used just before they switched to dual brakes.

Can't remember from the last few times I pulled it off but this time I noticed there's a very thin clear plastic disc sat inside the reservior, not quite as large as the internal diameter of the reservoir but not far off.

Is this something that's fallen off the underneath of the lid from me being forceful, or something I should leave in place inside floating at the bottom of the reservoir?

I'm suspecting the former but just wanted to make sure.

To jump on this thread- my reservoir on my late '73 GT6 has a Girling metal cap. But it is rusting on the inside. I have ordered replacement plastic caps but they have been too small of a diameter. Just slightly too small. Anyone know where to get a replacement that will fit?
Replacing the whole master cylinder for a new one just to get one with a nice new plastic cap is a bit extreme, but I am considering it as the rust is contaminating the fluid....  :-/

markcro wrote:
To jump on this thread- my reservoir on my late '73 GT6 has a Girling metal cap. But it is rusting on the inside. I have ordered replacement plastic caps but they have been too small of a diameter. Just slightly too small. Anyone know where to get a replacement that will fit?
Replacing the whole master cylinder for a new one just to get one with a nice new plastic cap is a bit extreme, but I am considering it as the rust is contaminating the fluid....  :-/

Have you tried Wins International? I always find them pretty good with stuff other suppliers don't seem to have anymore.

Archived