Brake Master Cylinder

Anthony

Thanks John

Believe it or not I'm not all that taken by 100% originality

I will be doing some things to my car which weren't standard, but, they way I see it, if it's not something I'm modifying then I might as well keep those bits original

I've already spent far too much on this car to start compromising on it now

Originally, they didn't have much of a polish or shine, they were just sort of clean and glossy.
Some folks do like to polish them, though.  It depends on your bling design/tolerances/personal likes.

When you clean aluminum parts with close tolerances like the carbs, you need to use something caustic, not acidic.  Some folks think that vinegar is a mild enough acid (acetic acid) to use to speed cleaning of the carbs, but vinegar will etch and remove small features.  I have seen vinegar remove the finer detail from aluminum molds for ornamental pieces.  I would never use vinegar on my Strombergs especially due to the problems with maintenance of the tight tolerances and deterioration of the small features in the starter box assemblies.

Something petroleum based like gasoline, kerosene, etc. is OK, caustic stuff like solutions incorporating lye (like drain and oven cleaners) also work well.  Don't use something caustic on the plastic/rubber pieces, though.  Cleaning all the nooks, crannies, and passages in carbs is a sort of slow process that can be aggravating for the impatient, especially if it's been a while since they were cleaned, but it's one to keep at a lackadaisical pace.  Soak, brush with a stiff organic brush (lye & petroleum solutions will dissolve nylon, etc., so you want hemp, pig bristle, etc. brushes, and use little pieces of wood like toothpicks for poking/scraping so that the aluminum isn't damaged), go as far as it will, dump the pieces back in to soak, take it up again tomorrow, repeat.  Do one carb at a time, because having the other carb still assembled is invaluable for seeing how to put one back together again.

rotoflex wrote:
When you clean aluminum parts with close tolerances like the carbs, you need to use something caustic, not acidic.

You quite sure about that, rotoflex?
See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7FmrOatEEA

Long list of ways to clean aluminium here: http://www.team.net/sol/tech/clean_al.html
The only method I know of apart from those mentioned is ultrasonics.

John

Archived