Brake Master Cylinder

Howard81

I am replacing all the brakes on my 1970 Spitfire IV with new - the parts on the car appear to be the originals and are in horriffic condition!

Looking at new master cylinders on eBay, I came across this item: http://search.ebay.co.uk/360165648194

The listing states: "Equivalent to OE reference GMC220"

Rimmer Bros' website shows:

Single Line System

Brake Master Cylinder;
UK & Export Vehicles - (1) - GMC224
Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, MkIV &1500. Imperial fittings.
All UK vehicles to FH130,000. All Export vehicles to FH80,000 except France & Belgium.

Export Vehicles Only - (1) - GMC220
Imperial fittings.
Export vehicles to France & Belgium only to FH80,000.

What is the difference between GMC220 and GMC224?  Will it matter if I fit the 'export' cylinder?

The originals got the alloy top section and metal twist-off cap, and that 120-degree shape. That one's got the plastic top and the 90 degree bend. I suppose that's about it. And of course the one you list will work fine. *shrug*
Where's Bill?

James Paddock list one suitable for the Spitfire for a few pounds cheaper (looks like the same one):

http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/Stock.aspx?SubCategoryID=22&VehicleID=2&category=2

or an original recon for practically the same price as the ebay one.

Might as well support a decent Triumph parts supplier, benefit from their expertise and excellent service and save a few pounds as a bonus  :)

Suggest avoiding the Wilwood master cylinders (Girling copy) and sticking to the Girling ones.  I know of several people who have had issues with the Wilwood ones. Not sure if the ones with angled reservoirs are available these days but the others (right-angle reservoirs or remote/screw ones) can be got from Raceparts or Hispec among others.

Nick

Spit62500 wrote:
James Paddock list one suitable for the Spitfire for a few pounds cheaper (looks like the same one):

http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/Stock.aspx?SubCategoryID=22&VehicleID=2&category=2

or an original recon for practically the same price as the ebay one.

Might as well support a decent Triumph parts supplier, benefit from their expertise and excellent service and save a few pounds as a bonus  :)

Nick_Jones wrote:
Suggest avoiding the Wilwood master cylinders (Girling copy) and sticking to the Girling ones.  I know of several people who have had issues with the Wilwood ones. Not sure if the ones with angled reservoirs are available these days but the others (right-angle reservoirs or remote/screw ones) can be got from Raceparts or Hispec among others.

Nick

Excellent, thanks chaps, I hadn't come across James Paddock before.  I'm going to go for the original refurbished Girling master cylinder, along with recon calipers and new discs/pads!

I've already put on new flexi lines front and rear, with new rear cylinders, shoes and adjusters.

Is there anything else while I'm at it?

Whilst you have got all the brakes apart strip down, clean and rebuild the handbrake mechanism - in particular the compensator swively thing (i beieve thats the correct technical term) where the font cable splits and goes to the rear brakes. They are nearly always seized to some extent and the difference it makes to get it working properly is well worth it.

Archived