brake master cylinder seals

stag4boys

Hi, I have today replaced the seals on the brake master cylinder. Whilst I had help and some appropriate tools it was not quite as daunting as the write ups had suggested.

I used the Rimmer Bros seals kit for the Lockheed dual brake unit. (Stag Mk II).

All was well but the white nylon washer had to be carefully drilled and we used self tapping screws to remove this. The inner circlip also proved a little problematic, but it relented in the end. To be fair, we were prepared from all the other write ups I had read, and had the Haynes manual at the ready. Unfortunately in stead of " Remove the nylon washer, rubber seal and inner circlip" It should read, "spend 15 minutes with various tools, a vice (for support) and some fine nosed circlip pliers and fine nosed screw drivers to remove the....."

Once disasembled, the offending defective seal was located and this and the rest were replaced.

Unit now replaced on the car and brakes reasembled and bled.

Should be ready for MOT now with new rear shoes, new rear calipers, a new section of brake pipe,  readjusted handbrake cable.

I have tightened the bolts on the main resevior, but there was still a small leak. Hopefully cured now, but has anyone else experiencd this. Don't want to overtighten the bolts. (New seals used, body unit and resevoir cleaned before reasembly).

Thanks to all those who had written about this issue before, it was very useful. 8)

Archived