thomas

does anybody know of an alternative puller to the expensive Churchill replica found on ebay for to pull the rear hubs. Anybody tried that two hole Laser one or the Franklin 5t .Maybe if the pcd on the spit is 95.25 the laser one wont fit -100 -115 but the franklin one looks okay. Wonder if 5t stands for five ton,if so it doesn't sound too promising. Any ideas?

If it's the swing axle hubs you're trying to shift then the Churchill copies are the only semi-reliable way as they are on a keyed taper.  Rotoflex hubs are splined and will normally come off with a decent 3 legged puller.

Not all the churchill replicas are stupid prices (they are pretty simple things after all.  Also worth asking around as you may well find you can borrow one.  Whereabouts are you?

Nick

Having just pulled a hub using what I assume to be a Churchill puller, it took an enormous amount of pressure to get the hub off. I had to use a 3ft long trollyjack handle as a lever on the socket and when it finally went, I thought I'd broken my elbow.

If you are doing it off the car, you are going to need a very substantial vice and bench. I did mine off the car and I had problems stopping the halfshaft turning in the vice, even though it's a big heavy vice and was done up as tight as I could make it. Better done on the car if you can.

If it is this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvbi1UZpHPI then I suspect that it has been staged to make it look easy, or it has been done very recently before on that car.  The clip is very misleading about the torque required to "pop" the hub.

The "trick" with the clamp to stop things from turning is the big giveaway - there is no way that such a clamp could stop the torque required to pop the hub on a typical Spitfire.  As sparky says, big vice and long pole.

I just watched that clip and nearly died laughing. Who is he trying to kid? I have a mighty 6" industrial strength vice, with 3 half-inch dia bolts fixing it to a 2" thick topped workbench, which is turn fixed to the wall. At one point I was lifting the bench clear of the floor, bending the fixings to the wall. Maybe I should have tried his little plastic and tinplate clamps?

Where was all the foul language, sweat, blood and bandages?

Square hub popper in the vice and a breaker bar, don't like the sound of using a ratchet. I spent a summer doing them, and after a while I could remove the brake shoes etc, fit the puller, pop it, hammer the shaft out and get the bearings out in a few minutes. If you're used to it it can be done quickly.

Yes,well weird,it takes all types it's said!Is this an ad for the puller he so deftly uses?Maybe if I stare at my hub it might brake free.
Johnny,when you say "square hub popper" what exactly do you mean? Is there one on ebay at the moment that you have experience using or a picture of one some where else?

Archived