GT6 front hub watershield ?needed

timireson

Hi all
When i stripped my front hubs on my gt6 mk 3. there was no water shield or seal, i see that it is on the parts list on canleys website but no longer available.

Done a few searches and it would seem some ignore this? do i just but the felt seal in and not worry about it?? to me (i am new to this game) it seems rather crude without it and surely going to accelerate bearing wear/rusting??? im planning on using this car regularly so it will get wet!!

any suggestions? or am i worrying about nothing??

thanks tim.

think you are getting mixed up with two parts

the felt seal is a must and protects the bearings, some aftermarket metal discs are oversize and useless, most keep the old one.

the unobtainium is the  much larger diameter water seal between the stub /upright and the caliper carrier, these are not available and did little.

was a form of o ring you can use a sealant to do the same effect

if you fit new bearing seals always re check the end float of 002" to 008" by lightly tighten the castle nut and back off one or two flats ,  there must be endfloat on front hub bearings . or you will seize the lot very quickly

Pete