Mk3 Spit Hub Caps

jamie31888

Hi Guys,

Spotted these on E-Bay and wondered if these hub caps with the badge are original for a mk3 spit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-MK1-MK2-MK3-BRAND-NEW-CHROME-HUB-CAPS-BADGES-X-4-/110849374747?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cf233a1b

I have the badges laying around at home but no hub caps yet.

Looks like you have to drill holes if you buy new  hub caps?

Cheers
Jamie

I think they look lame, i wouldnt want them. My hubcaps have a circular indent in the middle a few mm deep. I would have thought any badge would have sat within that space rather than over it. Would certainly look better if they were flush. Not a fan of that particular triumph badge either.

Ive seen these on a few early Spits and Heralds too. They were available through dealerships as an aftermarket option, so would be correct if you are concerned about originality. Mk3's came from the factory with just the pain caps.

Ta

Alex

there's one more problem with these new caps.

They are not correct...

when compared with the original ones, these new one are more curved in the middle section, when looked at from the sideview. the originals go from the outer lower to the middle higher section in a straight line instead of the curved line.

cheers, edwin

EddieGT wrote:
there's one more problem with these new caps.

They are not correct...

when compared with the original ones, these new one are more curved in the middle section, when looked at from the sideview. the originals go from the outer lower to the middle higher section in a straight line instead of the curved line.
Right! These look more like the typical Standard 8 / 10 and/or MGA hubcap (with a badge added), and I suspect the current repro Herald/Vitesse/Spitfire/GT6 hubcap is based on these, which might account for the shape difference between repro and original?

heraldcoupe wrote:
I understand the current reproduction hubcaps are spun, rather than pressed as were the originals. They don't share the profile of the MG/Standard hubcap, though reproductions of the latter seem a lot closer to their correct shape,

Cheers,
Bill.

I have asked group harrington (from the stainless bumpers) If they could create them from stainless in original shaoe, but i had to buy a whole bunch at once...

Perhaps in combination with more suppliers?

heraldcoupe wrote:
I understand the current reproduction hubcaps are spun, rather than pressed as were the originals. They don't share the profile of the MG/Standard hubcap, though reproductions of the latter seem a lot closer to their correct shape.
Interesting! I've only seen photos of the repros; although many of my originals have some degree of rust/pitting/peeling, I've still enough to last me awhile.  ;D

As for Mayflower hubcaps, they were essentially the same as those for the TR2/3/4 but usually sans "globe" badge.

Thanks for the replies re Mayflower.  Just that when they were still relatively common here in Australia, the ones I saw did have the Globe badges.  Could not remember the shape of the cap.

Were all of the Spitfire/Herald hub caps made of the same materials?
Just that at least one I have in my collection is stainless, the only one I have tried to repair, yet there seems to be mention plated ones.

Archived