snapped  hub flange

GT6 M

Hi all, just had a v v lucky escape,

was on me way to the Pendle and Piddle meet, and me car started to ..dance aboot the road..

pulled in at a garden spot, to see what was wrong, and me back wheel was at a ..jaunty  angle..

the hub threaded bit, had sheared off compleetly,where the threads  meet the splines,

and the wheel had fallen off, after working its way loose oot the bearing

it was a clean break, and could nae see any corrosion about,.

just  got hame noo, but will put up some pics the morrow,.

warning to any one else, ...check it , to see its ok..., as most are  38 - 42 ear old noo,

metal ..fatty gue.. me thinks,.

regards Marcus

My sister had the same thing happen on her Spitfire 1500 Engined Herald convertible when we were touring in Germany a few years back. The whole hub came off the halfshaft when it broke  together with the brake drum and wheel, the halfshaft sheared just at the end of the thread. Luckily she was only doing about 10 or 20 MPH in a campsite when it happended. Earlier that day we had been tanking around twisty roads in the German Hills and if it had come off then it could have resulted in a pretty tragic accident (oh) .

Tim, there was no wear in the bearings, as I try and keep it in good nick,.

was thinking more doon the lines of... too much wheel/tyre combo, over the years

Ive never had one go here , just where the threads meet the splines,
but  have had one go on the  solid shafts, , complete break,.

Cookie, Tim,    5 mins earlier  I as honking it doon the M Way, at  3.5 !!!
then was on a ..nice twisty drivers raod, [ skipton ]

it started to ..dance ..as on ice,  pulled into a garden center spot, found oot it was me wheel  very loose,

went to phone Break doon, and the Bloke in Garden center  said Im closing, can you leave it in the drive oot side the gates,

went to  turn around, very gingerly, and then, grunch/grind,  wheel and its associated parts all were
at a jaunty angle in me wheel arch

break doon truck came , no skate/dolly
he phoned for one, would be an hour before one came,

so got to, took wheel off, took brakes oot, and then managed to get the hub ,back into the housing,

with the aid of a biggish ammer,

Got it on to truck, then all the way hame, and back to me shed,

wheel came oot twice when pushing it backards to shed,.

but its in noo, awaiting the ..Surgeons hands.. ;) ;)

Nick, thanks for the offer, but got some spares,
but am toying going a different route!!!!

a bit more measureing ,  while its going to be in bits , will see if in right,!!!

No pics till thursda, as Chriss has me camera

regards     Marcus  Luckyicus   :o :o

Well this seems to be small pitfall on the swing back ends, I can remember in the mid '70's a few cars suffering the same misfortune, one during a 55mph right hand bend at New Zealands Pukekoe race track in '78, resulting in one written off 13/60, and a 2 litre Vitesse having the same tragic end when the hub flange snapped, sometimes it isn't old age causing this failure...maybe exhuberent driving ;D ;D ;D

Got camera back the night, so here some pics,

and this one is how the wheel ended up, when it came oot

I think this actually happened , a lot further back, may be Penrith, , as I got a few ..wiggles.. at high speed on dual bit,

but it actually come off at Ingleton,

the hub bit, on closer examination, has actually  got a little oval / slack noo,

and can be pushed in and off the hub quite easily,.

this is why it came off 4 times , whilst pushing it  no more than 60 yards to shed,.

regards  Marcus  Luckyicus

Archived