Front wheel bearings

Alex

Alex,
Be gentle on the old inner seals, especially the metal rings, as you may find that the new ones supplied don't fit. Using the bearing to drive the ring out rather than prising it helps preserve it.
                                                                               All the best,
                                                                               Paul

my local factors can source me wheel bearing kits from a company called first line.
They say there's no guarantee what brand the bearings would be but they'd be guaranteed for 10k
Any views?

They think they could make me up a set of timkins but would need the individual timkin part no.s.
Anyone know them?

I buy QH wheel bearing kits from my local motor factor.  Not very cheap, but QH still use Timken.  First Line don't.  Not a big First Line fan........ First Line TCA's for C4 A6 last < 15k miles/1 year before the ball joints are knackered - OE Audi ones lasted 186k / 14 years.  It is true that they are 1/6th of the price but they are a bitch to change.

I did try my local bearing supplier with the Timken numbers for GT6/Vit/T2000 - but his prices were more than double the QH kits without any of the extra bits like grease seals (QH felt seals are the same shite as all the other suppliers though!) Don't have any Spit/Herald bearings to check for numbers - sorry.

Cheers

Nick

Shipping costs to the UK might change things, but here in the US I did some online searching and ended up with very good prices on genuine Timken bearings and races. They ended up being much cheaper than the same Timken bits from an extremely reputable (but not always inexpensive) Triumph parts vendor here in the US.

The only trouble with Timken is they have different factories for the brgs and races( I found some race s made in USA and the brgs made in Japan and then mated?).
So you could have the races made in one factory to one manufacturing condition eg working temperature( which they do)
We use British made BRT Bearings and get a good discount. They also make UJs to last  

Keep a note of the SKF part numbers JensH provides (SKF nr. column!!) as you will likely find most bearing manufacturers will use either the same or very similar numbers.

We have this issue on ships, where machinery manufacturers provide their own part numbers for everything, which normally includes bearings at rip-off prices, so we try to take a note of the bearing number when overhauling so we can order bearings direct instead!!

Your 6202, 6205C3, 415997 etc are all standard bearings, same number from most bearing manufacturers, so I would expect the rest to follow suit :)

Cheers,

Phil

Archived