Front wheel bearings

Howard81

I've just refurbished a set of front hubs for my Spitfire, and have fitted new discs, studs and bearings. All good.

However, the little felt seal that fits against the innermost bearing doesn't fit! The metal ring is too big, even beyond tapping in. Is this a common problem? My thought is to transfer the new felt part to the old securing ring.

Also, is the felt seal fitted dry, greased or oiled?

Thanks in advance!

Same old problem, Howard. People have been having this issue for years, and either the offending seals are still being made or are from a batch still being sold.

Have you sent the seals back, or at least told the vendor? A lot of sellers are conscientious and will withdraw a part from sale if it turns out not to be fit for purpose (or just not to fit!) but a few ratbags will just shrug and assure you that you're the first.

How about a Campaign for the Recall of Anomalous Parts (C.R.A.P.) ?

Ahh, well I'm glad to know it's not a problem with my hubs!  I'll transfer the new felt to the old carrier if I can - hope to get them both fitted tomorrow, so I'll post back results.

I will let the supplier know about the problem!  It's not the first time a "new" part hasn't fitted properly.  I just hope the bearings will be made with higher tolerances in quality control! :-/

Front hubs fitted today in the beautiful sunshine 8)

Only small gripe with the kit were that the felt seals carriers and the split-pins were too big.  The bearings were spot on though!  I transferred the new felts to the old carriers.

I did notice that on one side of the car there seems to be a round metal shield around the felt seal attached to the upright.  The other side didn't have this.  I guess it's to stop dust/dirt/water/etc contaminating the seal.  I'll see if my spare unit has one I can salvage.

Looking much better now with the powdercoated steels on the front! - Just need to find the special hub puller to do the rear studs, along with new UJ's to stop the clonking 8)

Archived