adjusting rear wheel bearings?

beaver

Hi all,

one of my rear wheel bearings has a fair bit (much more than the other side) of play in it, so is it possible to adjust it to remove this play?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ProductImag ... 008698.jpg

Going off this diagram, it should just be a case of winding 138861 out a bit, followed by appropriate adjustments to the locking nut 134585?

I will replace the bearing ASAP but am heading away int he car fro the weekend so likely wont have time to get one and replace it.

ideally the shafts need to be removed from the car and the bearings adjusted in accordance with the manual, using a dial gauge.

In practice you may be able to nip it up in the short term - but don't over do it as there is a collapsable spacer within

ideally the shafts need to be removed from the car and the bearings adjusted in accordance with the manual, using a dial gauge.

In practice you may be able to nip it up in the short term - but don't over do it as there is a collapsable spacer within

It is usually acknowledged that if the dust cap rotates and teh 2 lock nuts are still locked together the bearing is at the end of it's life.

If the nuts have come unlocked then nip the inner so the dust shield just doesn't rotate and lock them back together,

I would put a spare shaft in the boot just in case.

Cheers

Colin

Hello Beaver,

they are not intended to be adjustable, only for the initial set up. The end float should be 0.002" to 0.004" .
If they are over adjusted there is a danger of the bearing breaking up or seizing, and if you back off the nut again, I don't think they'll last very long as the spacer will be too short.

Good luck.

Alec

Hi all, thansk for the comments.

I removed the half shaft and the nuts on the back were loose, so I nipped them up and reassembled. Most of the play is gone (much better than before) so im sure it will keep me going in the short term. I did have the option of "borrowing" a halfshaft off my other triumph, which may have been a better option, but will see what happens. Im heading away int he car for the weekend so is a it rushed

Cheers

Archived