Alex

I'm looking to fit later brakes to my mk1,I think it makes sense to do the front wheel bearings at the same time.
I wondered where the best place is to buy these and wether theres any difference between brands?
Also whats the going rate?

Thanks,
Alex

Witor, Rimmers or any supplier who hasn't left them sitting around on a shelf for years.  You could get them from SKF or someone if you could find out the number.  I think bearings are supposed to have a shelf life of around 3 years?

11 - 20 quid for a wheel bearing kit, including new seal.

Incidentally, the front bearings on these cars are supposed to be stripped, cleaned and re-greased every two years / 24,000 miles ( I think).  I wonder how many of us actually bother to do this? It's even more important on cars which don't get regular use. For the cost of them, you'd be as well to pop in some new bearings instead of just re greasing the old ones.

Th Stag set up uses the same pads too, but you have to use 14'' wheels as 13s wont fit over them.
Can give a slightly 'longer' pedal if you use the original master cylinder and servo rather than Stag items.

Colin

1529 wrote:
How easy is it to upgrade the brakes? On a MK1?

Andy

Pre or post facelift Mk1??

If Pre-facelift change to post facelift for thicker discs.

then get a set of Stag calipers and discs for the next level.

Bigger servo (Mk2 or Stag) to make it easier to brake (not better, just easier)

Then it is bespoke Wilwood claipers and vented discs I guess.

Cheers

Colin

Willwood.. depends on usage really

Chris Witors have the vented inlets on the disc on the outer (Renault disc?) whereas most would consider the inner more orthodox

I found them wanting on the circuit but I am sure they would be good on the road. They do have a large piston area which can lead to pad knock off , especially if you don't use a Stag M/C.. all adds to the cost I suppose.

I have fitted Monarch's Disc vented conversion to my 2500 (sold the Willwoods)  
It uses a BMW E30 265mm x 0.800" disc (redrilled and centre machined then straight bolt onto the hub using shorter (propshaft) 3/8 unf bolts).

http://triumphwestoz.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-brakes-on-everyday-hack.html

The caliper is production Mazda RX7 Turbo S2. Alloy forged and bigger pad than the willwoods and lots of compound choice including all the Ferodo DS range. The caliper is certainly a sturdier piece of kit than the willwoods and has anti sheal shims and dust guards unlike the willwood which looks a wee bit exposed. The Mazda caliper is definitely a better everyday proposition and has smaller pistons so you can retain the 2000 M/C with no increase in pedal.

Chris harps on about if you don't increase the piston area you don't increase the braking power but I would argue that braking power isn't the issue but fade resistance is what we are trying to increase (eh Tim?  ;) )

The Monarch kit give far more consistent pedal and is totally fade free

My only reservation on the Monarch kit is the adaptor which seems a little homemade. Works though  8)

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Take note that if you upgrade an early 2000 with the .3500" discs you also need the later hubs as fitted to late 2000 Mk1's Mk1 PIs Mk2's & Stags.

I do have the later hubs here fit but why do these need changing?

Thanks,
Alex

jcarruthers wrote:
Interesting - do the Mazda calipers fit to the standard mounting?

No , Monarch supply a homemade looking alloy casting which allows the caliper to bolt on... effective but I feel a CNC milled piece would look and feel better.

Apart from the adaptor the parts are almost off the shelf.. the discs could be machined and drilled by anyone with a lathe and the calipers must be cheaply availible? mine were reconned ones but boggo standard production item

Discs are about 60 quid for a pair and the calipers are 160 each (with surcharge for no exchange)

Think the monarch kit was about 500 quid.

If you can DIY the caliper mounts and lathe then there is some scope for savings.

Edit: the aluminum 4-pot caliper kit is 615 - guessing that is plus VAT so there would be savings to be had if DIY

I'll make enquiries as to mazda caliper values over here... reckon they would be ~100 quidfor a serviceable pair + postage  ;D. I know a man who could knock up adaptors in a jiffy  ;)

Here you go... these will be fine... no salt in Oz to destroy alloy calipers... enquire on postage!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mazda-RX7-FC3S-Series-4-5-Front-Brake-Calipers-JDM_W0QQitemZ380213309559QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item58867ab077

BTW (totally off topic) Doug is making enquiries about that 6-3-1 that might still be around

Archived