wheel bearing question

Davemate

have i fitted this correctly,is it ok sticking up that far,all the bearings are in as far as they will go and i have put them in the right way around,it is only the felt pad !
i need to know asap as i am waiting to put the hubs back on!!!
thanks chaps !
old

and new

Its probably OK, but the new felts are always too big.

they need soaking in oil over night too.

better to reuse the old ones if possible, otherwise setting the bearing end float is a bugger beause the felt hides the endfloat (that you do need)

either cut the new felt down, or tighten the hub nut up hard for a few days and hope it compresses the felt enough for you to set the end float (3 or 4 thou on a dial guage) or just enough to feel a slight rock at the wheel rim.

too tight and you will bugger the bearing, too loose and you get too much pad knock back

mike

those look like the" it wont fit too blasted big" crap after market rubbish , as said  far better use the old ones ,
or use the old cup with a new felt, but with the felt protruding that far ,  as said the end float would be difficult to set,
manual gives float as 0.002" - 0.008"  or nip castle nut to 5 lbsft (a light nip) and back off  one to two flats, there are 2 holes in the stub axle to help fine adjustment of 1/2  flats.

Peter

the bearing race is hammered  home, the other bit with the felt is hammered home as well
both sides have come out the same
the old ones look knackered the felt is very very compressed and the back of the hubs did have grease on so they must have been letting grease through

re-used the old,i would rather not
trim them down a bit,or
overtighten for a day the re-check bearings

i have fitted the hubs with the new seals as they are, i have done the castle nut up quite tight, it needs a bit of effort to turn the hubs. I am going to leave them over night as the car is on axel stands and it not being used, then in the morning i will release them and adjust up as they should be.Currently the felt pads have compressed quite nicely.

Archived