Rear wheel bearing rumble

Freebird

Sorry;

If you are replacing the bearings then I'm afraid it's a re-shim.

If you are just replacing the Rota-flex coupling; which neccesitates removal & refit of the existing bearing then the shims do not need to be altered.

It's a new bearing I need, so a re-shim is in order. The Haynes manual gives the amount of endfloat required, but is a tad vague regarding the measurement of it. I have a DTI and mag base, but what's the best way of setting it up?

I fitted a new rotoflex last year. You don't need to remove the bearings to do it, just pull the shaft out of the hub.

Glen.

I'm afraid this job really is a bit awkward - mainly due to some silly design quirks - such as making the hub a press fit over the shoulder on the splined shaft.....

You really need a bearing puller to get the inner race of the outer bearing off the hub - it's either that or break the cage, loose the rollers and carefully take a grinder to the track until it's thin enough to be cracked.  Other than than it is just a question of being patient and prepared to assemble and dismantle several times to get the shimming right...

DTI is an excellent way to measure the end float.

Here is Mike Ross' detailed write up on it (don't like that single CV conversion btw!)

http://www.mikeross-dds.com/rrbrng.html

Have fun......

Nick

Archived